new exhaust set up for 98 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98GMCguy

Reaction score
Alright fellas, I've got a few questions concerning replacing my exhaust. Any and all help you guys
could lend would be greatly appreciated! So right now I'm running completely stock exhaust to the
cats followed by I believe 18 inch cherry bomb glasspacks. It has a nice purr when you start it up and
sounds decent when driving, but I really want it to be loud as hell, the tone isn't a huge factor with me
but I need to keep it legal to Missoura. I was thinking headers to some type of cats, straight pipe and
then a 5 inch turn down pipe. Obviously, I don't have much knowledge on this topic so if I sound completely
ignorant just tell me lol. Also I will be doing all the assembly myself and have a few questions to go with that.
1) how hard is it to install headers? 2) How long can I expect assembly to take? and 3) what exactly do I need to do
with the O2 sensors? I've heard that the truck will not run if they are disconnected, so how do I take care of that situation?
Like I said, I do not have much knowledge in this area so literally any ideas/instructions would be immensely
appreciated! I would also like to apologize for the length of this and for sounding like a total dumbass lol

454crew

Reaction score
I can't answer all the questions because I haven't installed headers on these trucks but I've owned two 98's and a 97 with 350's and a 305. And with stock manifolds and cats 8" glass packs exiting to each side behind rear tire will satisfy most. I have straight piped them too and although loud its just not pleasing. Even a 40 series flow master will be louder. Good luck!

Last edited: