New exhaust for the Burb...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last night I decided 'it's time'.
Pulled the front half of the exhaust out from under the Burb...along with the drivers side (passenger side) manifold.
I have a set of Camaro 4 -> 1's which I'll be 'altering' to fit.
I'm going with twin 3" stainless right through.
I've decided to buy a couple of lengths of 3" PVC pipe and some elbows/bends and mock the system up out of that (easier to lay under the Burb with a hacksaw than have to mark, cut, tack....repeat). Then I'll just copy it in stainless.
Last night I found that one of my MSD leads was ruined (seems it hadn't been plugged onto the plug properly and has caused a 'hot spot' ruining the 90deg boot).
Can anyone tell me the best place to buy the MSD cable and fittings to make a set of leads? Not entirely happy with the 'pre-made' leads.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would be nice to have warm weather to do some work, I'm jealous. The PVC trick is a good one I've seen that before with good success. Not sure where to get the msd parts (besides from the factory or summit) but you can grab the boot with pliers and it will bend the inside to grab the plug better.
You might want some of these too while you're down there http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/Insultherm_Spark_Insulators.php

Reaction score
Summit Racing would probably be the best bet for the MSD parts and for the best price. IMO. If you can't find what you want in the catalog or online give them a call and inquire about the parts. Those guys will do everything to get the parts you need.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Their ebay page has strait flat rate shipping plus you get the ebay rewards.

Mike, I wonder where you found those at... :hmm:

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
right on, its an exhaust spectacular. heh. I got most of my plug wire parts from summit and locally, the trick is to get the correct distributor connection (or coil connection in my case), but the plug hookups seem fairly universal for the style/angle of the boot.
if you go with MSD, make sure to get actual 90* boots, not the multi angle crap, those will not clear you headers.

something like this is what you'd need on the plug end:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-3311/

I don't know if summit ships to Oz though.

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They don't ship to Oz Juc.
I have a collection of stuff at Jeff's place (thanks Jeff) and more coming.
I have the 'ready made kit' of MSD leads with the correct boots but I was never happy with the lengths of some of the leads and the routing of them. I'd like to make some nice brackets to run the leads along the rocker covers and just drop down to each plug. I can probably use some of the leads I have and just make longer ones where necessary.
Well...it's 2:45am here and I've just finished 'temp' fitting one of the Camaro headers. I had to cut a piece out of one of the pipes because I couldn't get the header to fit past the front diff mounting tab (couldn't get the angle to feed the header up from under the Burb). Now I just need to 're-make' that pipe in such a way as to allow me to be able to fit the header back in easily.
Apart from that one pipe...they fit perfectly (well...that side does..it's my drivers side...you guys' passenger side). Clears the steering components, starter motor, everything...and sits very nicely.
I'll post up some pic's later today.
I think the 'other' side will fit alot more easily due to no brake booster or lines, no steering and no wiring in the way. We'll see tomorrow night.
I knew there was a good reason for me to volunteer for a month of nightshift!

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK...pic's as promised:

You must be registered for see images attach

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lookin good, so crazy to see the steering on that side. You have a pipe bender or will you chop up pre bent pieces?

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll be cutting pre bent pieces. Unfortunately we don't have a pipe bender for that tubing (must be the ONLY thing we don't have).
I intend using these as a template once done and make a set of stainless headers.