New brake pad edge scraping rotor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnDenver

Reaction score
i just installed new brake pads (Centric Fleet Performance) on my 98 1500 and the edge of the pad backing is scraping on the “hat” part of the rotor. It does it on both the old and new rotors. I think one side just barely clears and the other scrapes. I’m not sure if maybe this pad is too big or if something is messed up with the brakes. Any advice?

magnumb

Reaction score
Maybe you got the pads for the 1ton??? They still clip in, but are larger overall.

1BigCarrot

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The pads are wrong. I had the same thing. Pads shouldn't touch the hat at all or be anywhere near the groove in the hat.

You need a different pad.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I double-checked just now and the part number on the box is correct for the 1500.
Parts do get mix-boxed from time to time. Do you have your old pads to compare with and measure?

One thing I had heard about Centric pads (from a different application) is that they are slightly larger, wiping a wider area of the rotor. Could be a totally unrelated comment and I personally haven't been able to tell as I did new rotors at the same time so there isn't an old wear pattern for them to have wiped over...

Richard

JohnDenver

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I pulled an old pad out of the trash to compare, but the window of daylight after work is getting pretty short, so wanted to look for any other possible issues before pulling things apart again.

JohnDenver

Reaction score
Have any of you used the Duralast (Autozone) or Wearever (Advance) pads? I usually order parts online, but I'd rather not wait for them to ship.

magnumb

Reaction score
I'm using the Duralast Max series on mine and have had no issues.
I've also used there gold series on cars and they fine.