New AC install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7echo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '93 Silverado single cab project truck for my son and I to work on, teaching him some repair and PM stuff. The old R4 compressor was shot so I am looking into options for replacement.

I need some comments and opinions on my plan-

Install new compressor, accumulator, condenser, hoses, etc. Most everything but the evaporator. I want to use R134 refrigerant.

I am thinking to use a Sanden FLX7 #4864 compressor. They have several manifold options for the hose connection, which one do I need?

http://www.sanden.com/flx7.html

I can buy or fab brackets. I will have new hoses made(probably at a Parker store, what do i need to know before talking to them?).

I think I need a parallel flow condenser. I am trying to track one down that is close to the OEM dimensions and fittings. Overall it is 30 1/4" wide, 16 9/16" high, and 1 1/2" thick.

Any help is appreciated, including telling me my plan is a bad one, just please give me some options ; )

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would recommend just swapping all the components for 94 year model parts. No need to reinvent the wheel; the 94 A/C works great if it's done properly. GM used the same R4 compressor with R134A they just put in a beefier condenser and changed out some sensors, orifice, hoses, etc. You can get new OEM AC Delco compressor, condenser, sensors, and hoses for less than $1000 easy. I would stick with the factory OEM parts, especially the compressor.

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would recommend just swapping all the components for 94 year model parts. No need to reinvent the wheel; the 94 A/C works great if it's done properly. GM used the same R4 compressor with R134A they just put in a beefier condenser and changed out some sensors, orifice, hoses, etc. You can get new OEM AC Delco compressor, condenser, sensors, and hoses for less than $1000 easy. I would stick with the factory OEM parts, especially the compressor.
I totally agree !! When I did the 5.3 swap in my 1994 C1500, I modified the old R4 bracket from the 4.3 I swapped out. I did not buy an a/c delco compressor, but I did get a new one. New dryer and orifice tube as well. Doing it myself 4 years ago for let's than $200, my a/c is still ice cold since the day I did it.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

7echo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will check into this option, thanks very much for the replies.

I have heard a lot of bad stuff about the GM R4 compressor. Are the ones for the 134A better than the R12 ones?

I really like the idea of sticking with an OEM set up but after reading about the R4 I started looking into the Sanden compressors.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The OEM R134 setup works but all the replacement parts available are chinesium garbage. I redid the A/C on my '94 two years ago and I'm going to have to do it again this year, compressor leaks, hoses aren't really right and don't fit well, etc... I will not be going oe parts again and will do something similar to what you are thinking.

7echo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The OEM R134 setup works but all the replacement parts available are chinesium garbage. I redid the A/C on my '94 two years ago and I'm going to have to do it again this year, compressor leaks, hoses aren't really right and don't fit well, etc... I will not be going oe parts again and will do something similar to what you are thinking.

That is the kinda thing I have been reading. But Dgonz and chipskittles have had success with the 134A version of the R4. It would be much easier to use OEM parts. If I went custom I would have to figure out the amount of oil and refrigerant for the system. That might be a problem.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree, most of the compressor brands are a waste of everything(four seasons, GPD, any part store brands, etc). The R4 is not a particularly great or durable compressor, however it's what we have to work with and I personally have had relatively good luck with the AC Delco service compressor part number 88964862. It's the drop in service part for our truck, whether it used R12, or R134. The AC Delco part is the best option we have at this time, and it's cheap. My truck had the compressor replaced with this ac delco part about 9 years ago and it was still working fine when I pulled it about a year ago, but it was getting crazy loud. Normal pressures, plenty of oil, but just normal wear for the R4 i'm afraid. I would have LOVED to have found an economical way to drop in a Sanden or Denso compressor when I was in need but it just ain't there. Anything you do will require some serious fab work to the belt drive system. That bracket was made for the R4, it cradles it like a baby. I hate the R4 compressor by the way.

Dubs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I redid my a/c in my 92. Here are the parts I used.
ACDELCO 1530139 hose
APDI/PRO 7014295 condenser
ACDELCO 152832 a/c clutch switch
ACDELCO 1533363 drain hose
FOUR SEASONS 54478 evaporator
TYC 96011 hearter core (since I was already in the box)
ACDELCO 52462500 evap tube seal
FOUR SEASONS TSN1601 compressor
FOUR SEASONS 33122 dryer.

You may have to get special o-ring seals off of amazon. It depends on the offset of the a/c hose to the back of the compressor. I needed a red one and a green one for mine. see below

http://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/usa...IMNeRITRuv5brBeaksP37IKKKp1OGMhjU4aAkDX8P8HAQ