New 99 'Burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
So I already have a 96 C1500 with just about everything I wanted to do to it done. But it is a 2WD.

Now I purchased a 99 Suburban K1500. So I am pretty new to the 4WD setup in the front. The truck is in pretty good shape, especially the engine. But the shocks are gone on it so they need to be replaced. I was going to go with the same Bilsteins I put on my pickup since they are great. But I went around and measured the wheel wells from the ground. The rear was 1.5" lower than the front, which I found strange. But maybe that is a 'Burb thing? I do have a full tank of gas in it currently, or maybe its just the shocks. Any ideas there?

Well anyway, I am looking to lift it just a bit. Nothing like my pickup. No Body Lifts, just something small suspension so I can put some slightly larger tires on it since it needs new tires asap. I would prefer to put some blocks on the rear since that is easier, but not opposed to an AAL either. For the front though, I am not sure what the best option for a 1-2" lift or so. And what the largest tires I could go with would be, without trimming anything more than just a little.

And yes, I know there are 1000 of these posts out there. But I just wanted to see what opinions people had for this.

I'll post some photos later today.

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Also, did all 'Burbs come with a 3rd row? Or was that an option?

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
So I am pretty sure I am going to go with some Wrangler LT 265/75R16 tires on the factory rims. I checked the existing geometry and looks like everything is pretty straight right now. So I think I will try to crank it a little and gain an inch or so and check it again.

Then maybe a block in the back to level it out.

So I guess my main questions:

1) Does every Suburban have a 3rd row, or was that an option?

2) Do Suburbans typically sit lower in the rear than the front from the factory? I know my pickup sat higher in the rear. If it doesn't usually sit lower, maybe it needs new springs and/or an AAL?

3) Any reason 265/75R16 tires on my factory 16x8 wheels wouldn't fit with a little crank?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the 3rd row seat, hopefully someone else will chime in on that. Fender lip height is different from front to rear, you need to go by frame height. And 265's should fit without cranking, so a little crank will look nice.

rhino99

Reaction score
Answers to all your questions!

1) All suburban come with a third row its the reason the suburban is around.

2) Unsure on that I believe the rear is supposed to be higher, my burb sat nice and level all stock when I got it. The keys were not jacked in the front at all and was running LT265/75R16.

3) I ran LT285/75R16 with stock suspension just cranked the keys a little right before I put my 3in RCX lit on.

Hope this answers your questions.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Wow! That thing is "arrest me" red.
Nice 'Burb though.

Most of the stock Tahoes and suburbans I've seen have a "nose up" attitude. Probably because the factory didn't put enough spring under the rear of them.
I would be tempted to go with an add a leaf or 2500 rear spring packs instead of blocks. It will firm up the ride a little and level it off.
As the 'Burb sits now, 265's should fit without any problems.

Nice find and good luck with it.

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I just got the front end up by cranking it a bit. Maybe I went up an inch or inch and a half. So at the frame, the rear is 1.5" lower than the front frame. The rear fender is 2.5" lower than the front ones.

I have new tires getting installed tomorrow, the ones on it when I bought it were bald as hell. I got some Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure LT265/75R16 tires for the factory rims.

I think I will go with the AAL for the rear and see how much I get out of it. I also ordered some Rancho RS5000 shocks. The ones on it are done.