Need some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

etb1

Reaction score
i want to ask some questions:
1. how much do you spend on gas monthly? and on average how much miles you travel monthly?
2. is there a v6 engine model of this kind of trucks?
3. is it worth it?

Im thinking in buying a 1990-1998 silverado or sierra but i got a very limited budget cause i study and can't work, im 17 years old, the thing is here in mexico yoyu can get one for 1000 - 1500 dollars and i can afford that like in 6-7 months by myself but i don't have a stable enough income to waste on gas (not mentioning that gas is very expensive here) but i really want to get into mechanic and i really like how this trucks looks so if you can help me with that i would be very thankfull.

Zach Hampton

Reaction score
I spend roughly $40 a week on gas at about $2 a gallon. I can get about 225 miles out of 20 gallons. The average MPG on these trucks is around 12. I think they only came with a 5.7 gasoline or a 6.5 diesel.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
2. is there a v6 engine model of this kind of trucks

Yes, they were available all through the year range with a 4.3L V6. My red truck has one, excellent engine. They run great and I average around 23-25 MPG on each tank.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
I haven't done an actual "fill up, run it down, fill it up, do the math" analysis, but I estimate I'm around 20mpg with a 5.7l vortec v8 in a 96 suburban. I'm fairly easy on the throttle which is a big factor in mpg.

Compared to the computer on a 15 Suburban which usually tells me 15-17mpg averages. Even with its v4 mode.

Doesn't seem like they've made a lot of progress on fuel efficiency no matter how much they claim they have.

Now my girlfriend's 12 Toyota yaris gets over 20 even with her andre mangetti(her reinterpretation of me calling her Mario Andretti -what can I say, she's hot) lead foot.

I spend way too much in gas, but I drive a crap ton. I'm at 324,119 and was at 322,000 on may 16.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Gas here is $1.05/liter. (Cdn) I probably spend $200.00/mo.
Black '98 is an auto, was a V6. Driving nice, best I've got was 29.5 mpg/highway. (Imperial gal. = 4.54 liters)
Yea, that's what I said too! "What?" Went over the numbers a few more times. Same answer. Had my Dad check them. Maybe I was missing something. Nope. Same answer!
Blue '97 - V6 stick. Best I've gotten outa that is about 27 mpg.
You'd think it'd be the other way around, but I'm up & down through the gears, here on the hills. On most of the longer ones I'll just use a lower gear instead of being on the brakes the whole way.