Need some help guys..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew1320

Reaction score
I'l try to explain this the best way I can. Engine is around 202K miles and can' really afford a new one and don't have time to rebuild. But the issue I'm having is, when you first start driving the truck it will hesitate a lot and stutter, then if you make a right hand turn it dies. It will do this until it reaches operating temperature and once you drive it for awhile it runs fine. Any ideas?

Andrew1320

Reaction score
I'l try to explain this the best way I can. Engine is around 202K miles and can' really afford a new one and don't have time to rebuild. But the issue I'm having is, when you first start driving the truck it will hesitate a lot and stutter, then if you make a right hand turn it dies. It will do this until it reaches operating temperature and once you drive it for awhile it runs fine. Any ideas?

Forgot to add, truck is a 1995 K1500 and shows no SES light.

jsfrmsj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get yourself a scanner (to read fuel trims, o2 sensors and a bunch of other stuff besides codes) and fuel pressure gauge if you want to start diagnosing it. Or take it to a reputable shop for diagnosis.

edit - nvm, just realized this is an obd1

Last edited:

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The "right turn" bit is probably just the extra load on the engine from the power steering while making the turn. Does it do it turning left? POSSIBLY could be a low battery and runs better after the truck warms up and gets a little charge going. Check the usual connections, grounds etc for that. If you could in a known good battery and it runs better you might be on the trail. Somebody just had a sort of similar problem and it turned out to be a bad distributor cap but not likely in this case as it goes away after a while.

Charging would be my first place to look. Let us know what it is .

Andrew1320

Reaction score
The "right turn" bit is probably just the extra load on the engine from the power steering while making the turn. Does it do it turning left? POSSIBLY could be a low battery and runs better after the truck warms up and gets a little charge going. Check the usual connections, grounds etc for that. If you could in a known good battery and it runs better you might be on the trail. Somebody just had a sort of similar problem and it turned out to be a bad distributor cap but not likely in this case as it goes away after a while.

Charging would be my first place to look. Let us know what it is .

It never happens when turning left, no noises and fluid is full. I'll definitely be looking at all that and keep the post updated. Just wanted to see if I could get some pointers. Never had this sort of issue and it really baffles me lol. Thats a chevy for ya though.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Check your power steering fluid level and clean the throttle body for starters. May have some funky issue with the power steering pump when turning that puts an extra load on the engine causing it to stall.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Have the battery checked at your local parts store, I believe O' Reilly's and AutoZone will do this. Also a good idea to swap the fuel filter along the frame out if you haven't done that lately, it's only about $20 and half an hour of work if you work slowly. A new distributor cap would be my next step after that.

The whole "dies on right turn not on left" can most likely be chalked up to just "finicky actions". I'm sure there's a scientific reasoning behind it (i.e. the power steering pump is on the driver's side of the truck so it doesn't require as much power to pull?) I'm just rambling at this point however. If that doesn't work, pull some codes and come back to us. We're here to help.

mountie

I sold my '88 C2500 to a happy guy in Germany
Reaction score
The possibility may be ...turning 'right'.... you are letting off the gas peddle... (slowing down)..

Even though you haven't thrown a code, it sounds like a 22 or 23 code symptom. Consider your TPS, ESC, or something in the sensors in that area.... ( It happened to me)