Need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty850

Reaction score
my 96 Sierra k1500 motor needs replaced 330,000 miles its time.what motor should I go with 350-383 want more hsp. And torque.just need some help to figure what to do just not sure ,any help would be appreciated,thanks

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you want "more torque" as in LOTS more, e.g. a 383 or even a 455 or do you want more torque as in what your 350 would deliver if brand new Are you building a hot rod or just a good reliable truck that will perform as new?
Once you get past that question your answer should be evident. I am personally more into the good reliable truck end of things but your mileage (and torque) may vary depending on your wishes. Good luck and let us know what you decide. Welcome to the forum.

scotty850

Reaction score
Do you want "more torque" as in LOTS more, e.g. a 383 or even a 455 or do you want more torque as in what your 350 would deliver if brand new Are you building a hot rod or just a good reliable truck that will perform as new?
Once you get past that question your answer should be evident. I am personally more into the good reliable truck end of things but your mileage (and torque) may vary depending on your wishes. Good luck and let us know what you decide. Welcome to the forum.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just looking for a good reliable truck that runs better then it did before has a wore out stock 305 now ,love my truck and don't want to think about buying a new a new truck.

My '93 started life with a 305 and somewhere along the way acquired a 350 replacement. It is a solid truck with plenty of power for day to day use and a pretty tall rear end gear for reasonable economy. I expect if you went up to a GM crate 350 you would be pretty happy. I do not know the details of the swap as mine was done by a previous owner. The only major thing I have had done is have the transmission rebuilt.

My favorite "rule of thumb" is that a truck will run forever if two payments a year are spent on it. In your case two payments on a new truck would come pretty close to replacing your motor.

scotty850

Reaction score
Wanting to get everything new manifold ,fuel system,cold air intake,headers,serpitine kit w/AV compressor,ect where would be the best place to get everything or does anyone have a parts list,thanks.1996 is hard to figure out what you can and can't do with the fuel system.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Wanting to get everything new manifold ,fuel system,cold air intake,headers,serpitine kit w/AV compressor,ect where would be the best place to get everything or does anyone have a parts list,thanks.1996 is hard to figure out what you can and can't do with the fuel system.

A running parts truck would be your cheapest/easiest route. Maybe something with severe body rot or involved in an accident. Possibly ask a junkyard if you can buy a whole truck from them knowing it will be brought back after your done minus the engine and accessories.

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Factory replacement 350 with the HT383 camshaft, and tuned.

Agree with superdave, L31 R code 5.7L Vortec crate engine from Summit or Jeg's can be found for ~$1800-2000 with free shipping usually. Camshaft part number 14097395. Your 305 accessories should fit, intake might need to be port matched and definitely use the improved fuel spider assembly.