Need help with my exhaust!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackSilverado98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK I need some help. I have read through all the pages of the exhaust section on here and think I know what I want to go with but want to get some advice first.

First of all, my truck has 193,000 so I am not looking for performance really. I just want something that sounds good thats deep and loud enough to hear. I want good flow though and a little better mpgs cant hurt! I read good reviews with the Dynomax Bullets so I am thinking about going with them. Cats are original and probably be good to change them so I am going to put two magnaflow high flow cats.

I am pretty sure I want to stay with single exhaust unless one of you can change my mind. The setup I was thinking about going with would be ....

Single
2 highflow cats
2 into 1 Y-pipe something like this
3" Dynomax Bullet
3" pipe running to stock location

or

Duals
2 highflow cats
2 2.5" Dynomax Bullets
2.5" pipe running out back

Also would I be better off going with the magnaflow version of the bullets like This? It is only $20 more and its stainless? Or would the sound not be as good?

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think true duals sound better personally. Much more agressive imo.

assuming you have a vortec 350, true duals are pretty easy because its already true dual before the cats. throw an h pipe in there if your concerned with low end.

and are you talking about regular magnaflow round mufflers or the actual race series round mufflers? The race ones have, No chambers, no baffles, no louvers, no restrictions.

btw performance-curve.com has hi flow thunderbolt cats for $36.95 a piece if your looking for cheaper cat options

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
with hi flow cats and bullet mufflers you are going to be pretty loud. Your deep sound is best had by a 2 chamber muffler, with duals being a good option. Run 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 duals with your cats and either a dual in dual out 2 chamber muffler, or two dual mufflers. or do the single exhaust with the option of single in single out or single in dual out.

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think your single system will be better for mpg, I'd put a X pipe in your dual system.
For a deep tone you should run a bigger straight through muffler.
I should get off my ass and make a clip of mine, it's a magnaflow and it's definitely deeper than any chamber muffler I've had.

BlackSilverado98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think your single system will be better for mpg, I'd put a X pipe in your dual system.
For a deep tone you should run a bigger straight through muffler.
I should get off my ass and make a clip of mine, it's a magnaflow and it's definitely deeper than any chamber muffler I've had.

Yea I was told that single is better for mpg too. What magnaflow are you running? A video would be greatly appreciated!

ts96 thanks for the cat option I will definitely go with those..much cheaper! I may have to take your advice with the h-pipe and duals...this will help me keep some low end power? or x-pipe be better? Also where do you put it...just after the cats?

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea those cats are definitely a good find. Mine have held up fine and NO cel light and supposedly people say they cant really tell a difference between those and no cats. H pipe is cheaper and more torque, I'd put it right before the cats.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always thought the closer to the motor the better. Put it where convinent honestly.

I think there is a test you can do you put paint on the pipes and where ever it bubbles the most put it there. or draw on it with a white crayon and put it on the furthest up burnt spot.