Need Help Tracing VSS Wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mitragorz

Reaction score
A few years back I had a wiring harness wrap around the front driveshaft of my '88 K2500, taking a whole bunch of plugs with it. Unbelievably, the truck still ran fine, until the tranny blew bc it wasn't locking up like it should.

Anyway, the VSS came out with it so the speedo stopped working. It didn't bother me, it was a work truck.

Now I'm getting ready to sell it and I'm trying to fix the little stuff. I have a new VSS pigtail, but I'm having trouble figuring out where the wires used to run. Plus, if what I'm looking at is the old VSS, the colors don't match the Haynes. Haynes says the two wires coming off the VSS should be ppl/wht and Lt grn/blk. I'm seeing a purple and a yellow wire.

Haynes also says that those wires run to the buffer, but I've read that old trucks like my '88 don't have buffers.

Can someone clue me in on how and where the VSS should be connected? Pictures would help immensely.

I'm on mobile, so I'll try to upload pics of the harness and old VSS, but I apologize if the formatting is off.

mitragorz

Reaction score
Other end of the harness. Not sure where this is supposed to connect to.

You must be registered for see images attach

mitragorz

Reaction score
Ignore everything, I figured it out. This is where they go. I made long jumpers and the speedo works again.

You must be registered for see images attach

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If my memory serves, the buffer is behind the glove compartment. It is a little white box. The speedo wires run to the buffer, then the signal is split from the buffer to the cruise, dash, and PCM.
I believe the pigtail you don't know where goes is the 4x4 light switch on top of the transfer case. If you don't get it let me know.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know that on my 1993 GMC the VSS DRAC Buffer is located behind the glove box it's white in color.