Need help on rebuilding my l31 into a 383

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
So I don’t need to bore it to make it into 383 cubic inches???

It doesn't really matter. It will be a stroker no matter what because of the crankshaft. Whether it's a 383, 385, or 388, it's still a stroker. You don't bore for the heck of it, and it's not like 3 cubic inches are going to snap your neck when you gas it.

Bigredburb47

Reaction score
As far as tuning, I would figure out what PCM you have and start researching. A wideband O2 sensor is extremely useful, although it can be done using the stock O2 sensors. There are a bunch of resources out there to tell you what you’re going to need to be able to modify the calibration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I keep reading that swapping out the black box for the 411 ecu and go from there, and yes I know how helpful a wide band could be so that would be something I would looking to buy

Reaction score
I’m not sure what your goals are with the burb but the LT4 hotcam is going to make more power in the mid to upper RPM ranges, not saying it’s “bad” but you will be reving it more to get Into the torque curve. If you do go with the hot cam a mild stall converter would be benificial. I know slowburb will disagree with me on this but I have a 383 with the stock LT4 cam(and 1.6 rockers) that, in my opinion runs quite well. From what I have read on this forum the ramjet 350/HT383 cam is a good stock replacement cam but I have no experience with that one.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I’m not sure what your goals are with the burb but the LT4 hotcam is going to make more power in the mid to upper RPM ranges, not saying it’s “bad” but you will be reving it more to get Into the torque curve. If you do go with the hot cam a mild stall converter would be benificial. I know slowburb will disagree with me on this but I have a 383 with the stock LT4 cam(and 1.6 rockers) that, in my opinion runs quite well. From what I have read on this forum the ramjet 350/HT383 cam is a good stock replacement cam but I have no experience with that one.

I don't doubt that it runs out nicely, I just know it could do it better. That cam is for a 3000# car with a stick.

The HT383 crate engine makes 440 something torque. That's with 9:1 Compression, a '395 cam, and stamped 1.5 rockers. That's making 440 fwtq on the dyno so maybe 350 rwtq. A brand new L31 makes 330 fwtq and what...250 rwtq? That's just teeny weeny for a stroker though. While you habe to watch our for the upper threshold of the induction system, I still think you could stick a bigger cam in there. I'll bet the ZZ4 cam would be great in a stroker.

Bigredburb47

Reaction score
Yeah my plans with my burban is to be a reliable daily but of course with some power when I need it oh and of course to go out on your occasional weekend wheeling

Bigredburb47

Reaction score
I don't doubt that it runs out nicely, I just know it could do it better. That cam is for a 3000# car with a stick.

The HT383 crate engine makes 440 something torque. That's with 9:1 Compression, a '395 cam, and stamped 1.5 rockers. That's making 440 fwtq on the dyno so maybe 350 rwtq. A brand new L31 makes 330 fwtq and what...250 rwtq? That's just teeny weeny for a stroker though. While you habe to watch our for the upper threshold of the induction system, I still think you could stick a bigger cam in there. I'll bet the ZZ4 cam would be great in a stroker.
Got part numbers for the 395 cam and the zz4 cam?