Need help on rebuilding my l31 into a 383

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigredburb47

Reaction score
hello ladies and gents, so I’m in the process of rebuilding my old tired out 5.7 l31 that had started knocking in my 1999 suburban k1500. So I just wanted some pointers and to be steered in the right direction on what cam I should use, and what size should I bore out the cylinder walls to and what crank to use etc... mind you guys I’m trying to keep this to a minimum of a budget and yes this will be used as a daily and for its every now and then weekender off roading. And yes this my first v8 build so be easy on me lol

You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Being your first engine build, the best advice I can give would be to either have a shop rebuild it or get a crate motor then have a reputible shop tune your computer. You can do the actual engine swap yourself but the fine measurements, gapping piston rings, magnufluxing the block and heads, milling the block and heads, and all the other detailed work should be left to a pro. But after that a SBC to SBC swap is easy and then either have a shop close by tune the computer or get an online tuner to send you a canned program to get you close and do some data-logging yourself then have them tune it via email.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Find a trustworthy/reputable machine shop. Only bore the cylinders over as much as is required to correct. If no overbore is necessary, don't bore them at all. I am not sure how emissions works in kommiefornia so I'm not going to offer advice on anything concerning the buildup.

BubbaGump

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The condition of the engine will determine what you'll have to do. Wear on the crank journals and a ridge at the top of cylinders are indicators of a more expensive rebuild. Buy a rebuild book and study study study. THEN you can make the call about whether it's doable for you. Don't be afraid to try. Tear it apart and take it to the machine shop. They'll tell you what it needs. And they usually only charge $150 or so to put it together for you, if you don't think you can do it yourself.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
If your gonna try assembling the engine yourself, a good tq wrench will be your best friend. It will make or break your build. Wait for a reputable machine shop to look over your block and crank before ordering anything and when choosing a cam, its usually best to call and get suggestions from the mfr for what your wanting to do with the vehicle its going in.

Bigredburb47

Reaction score
The condition of the engine will determine what you'll have to do. Wear on the crank journals and a ridge at the top of cylinders are indicators of a more expensive rebuild. Buy a rebuild book and study study study. THEN you can make the call about whether it's doable for you. Don't be afraid to try. Tear it apart and take it to the machine shop. They'll tell you what it needs. And they usually only charge $150 or so to put it together for you, if you don't think you can do it yourself.
I’m not building it my self, I’m actually taking it to a machine shop and have them build it hence i don’t have time and always working. Now my next question is if I can use the lt4 hot cam in this build

Bigredburb47

Reaction score
Find a trustworthy/reputable machine shop. Only bore the cylinders over as much as is required to correct. If no overbore is necessary, don't bore them at all. I am not sure how emissions works in kommiefornia so I'm not going to offer advice on anything concerning the buildup.
So I don’t need to bore it to make it into 383 cubic inches???

Bigredburb47

Reaction score
Being your first engine build, the best advice I can give would be to either have a shop rebuild it or get a crate motor then have a reputible shop tune your computer. You can do the actual engine swap yourself but the fine measurements, gapping piston rings, magnufluxing the block and heads, milling the block and heads, and all the other detailed work should be left to a pro. But after that a SBC to SBC swap is easy and then either have a shop close by tune the computer or get an online tuner to send you a canned program to get you close and do some data-logging yourself then have them tune it via email.
Yes I am having it get build at a shop, and that is one thing I’m looking to get into Tunning my own truck

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as tuning, I would figure out what PCM you have and start researching. A wideband O2 sensor is extremely useful, although it can be done using the stock O2 sensors. There are a bunch of resources out there to tell you what you’re going to need to be able to modify the calibration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk