Need help identifying 10 bolt diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowtie4x4295

Reaction score
Have had my 98 Z71 for a long time and love it. Parked it a while back because life got in the way of fun. The rear end was always loud, and I purchased another from a friend. Went in perfectly, sounds much better, but noticed an odd vibration. Turns out the drivers side axle is slightly bent. Supposed to be from another Z71 with 3:73's. Take the axle to the parts house and nobody seems to be able to match it. Can't figure out what it was in to begin with for parts store. The numbers on the axle tube are LFA K 296 2. Tried to research what it could have possibly be with no luck. If anyone could help that would be great. It's just a 10 bolt casting number 15555679. Just lost at this point. Thanks for any assistance.
View media item 31357

Last edited:

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Why not use one of the axle shafts out of the rear you pulled?

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you sure you even have a 10 bolt?
I'd assume it's a 12 bolt or if yer lucky a 14 bolt SF

Last edited:

Bowtie4x4295

Reaction score
RPO GT4 shows it's a 3:73. I know that's for the rear, but the front has never been changed. The axle shafts in the original diff were smaller in diameter and not interchangeable. The exterior was the same though. Yes It is definitely a 10 bolt and 3:73.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
GM 10 bolts came with either 28 or 30 spline axles shafts. A handful of companies make 33 and 35 spline axles shafts for these. But if I'm not mistaken all Gmt400 10 bolts should have 30 spline.

Count the splines and measure the length. Any axle shaft matching those two parameters should be the same diameter and bolt right in.