Need help five lug to six lug...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I have a 1996 1500 short bed. It is a five lug and want to change it to 6lug. I know the 2500LD front rotors for the front and that's done but what rear end do I need that is a Direct bolt in that is the same size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Actually since you mentioned it I think they are narrower.

Check 2 wheel drive 2500ld. Should be 14bolt semi floater

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 6 lug 5.5" pattern rear diff from my 1967 C10 has a center wheel hub of 4.25" or 108mm which is the same as 6 lug 1988 / 1998 C1500 - C2500 with 1 1/4" rotors or GVW 7200 vehicles. The rear axle housing comes with drums, 3" tubes and has many rear disc kits on the market if desired. The width of the housing from flange to flange is 75" and the axles add 3 inches extra together. This is a GM 12 bolt Truck axle. This is called a "Corporate differential that currently has a series 4 Eaton clutch type limited slip that uses ring & pinions from 3.48 up. This one is a 4.11 ratio. The other axle was Dana. The pan-hard bar pin is bolted in a cast flange and includes welded flanges for spring loaded lower control arms. An online research show that diff was used for years in dozens of models. I am in Omaha and the diff is heavy and would sell / needs serviced / clutches are good. The GM paper service books have a tech test the limited slip by using a flange bolted to the wheel lugs, then with a torque wrench, test the break-loose point.
Cars = 48/55 ft. lbs. Truck = 68/75 ft. lbs. Yet I have a diff spreader for servicing the guts. Retired ASE Master Tech.