Need help deciding on a welder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
I have the Hobart handler 140 that I use for light duty stuff. 120 volt, gas or flux core. Welds up to 1/4 in. I very happy with it. Get all my consumables from Tractor supply. It was $600 I think. I don't care much for Miller wire feeds. Had trouble with em in the past.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I just switched out all of my Miller mig machines for Lincoln machines last year. Don't get me wrong, they both make great machines, but I had all early 350P's and they all have motherboard problems that the Miller rep here didn't want to deal with, so off to the Lincoln rep for all new 350MP's it was.

Now, for both of the welders you have listed. They're the exact same welder. Owned by the same person, and build in the same place, using the same specs. The difference? Hobart machines are tapped and Miller machines have infinite controls.

This means the Hobart has a certain number of "taps" or settings that you can turn the wire speed and voltage to. The Miller however can be set to any number you want, making it infinitely variable.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
Horns;409423

Now, for both of the welders you have listed. They're the exact same welder. Owned by the same person, and build in the same place, using the same specs. The difference? Hobart machines are tapped and Miller machines have infinite controls.

This means the Hobart has a certain number of "taps" or settings that you can turn the wire speed and voltage to. The Miller however can be set to any number you want, making it infinitely variable.

Well aint that some s**t..... I'm not planning on doing lots of fab work day in and day out. Hell, the welder might sit for weeks at a time. I just want to be able to weld in a notch, maybe box a frame, weld a cab corner in. We have an old Miller in the shop at work and its pretty durable. Its even been in a fire!!!! The last time Ive used a Lincoln was back In high school...18 years ago. And never had the opportunity to use a Hobart.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Out of those two, Miller....and it isn't even close. Like Jack said, Miller makes Hobart. They're a good entry level welder, but if you want to do much more than thin metal, it isn't ideal.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
<<<<<<< Entry level welder.

Looks like I should get a Miller then.

Like I said, I do have access to bigger machines. We have a Miller Vintage 250 at work (survived a fire) And a Millermatic 350p at my friends shop if I need to weld up something heavy duty. I'm free to use them anytime but I don't want to tie them up just to weld a quarter panel On my '53. 90% of the time I will be doing body work.

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
Id say get the Miller. We had Millermatic 252's at my HS and All the machines in my welding lab at my tech school are Millers and we havent had a issue with them ever. Ive heard Hobarts are cheaply made and break on people.