Need Cowl Hood Paint ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put a teardrop style cowl hood on my truck and am looking for some ideas. Not sure if I should go factory black or try to incorporate some silver. Pics would be awesome.

Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like the stock hood better personally! If you're set on the cowl though, I'd consider trying to incorporate the factory pinstriping into it somehow. I always liked the fact that the stripes were a different color than the top and bottom of the body.

I've said it before but I'll say it again, love this truck. Only actual truck I've ever seen with the same paint codes as my Suburban.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like the stock hood better personally! If you're set on the cowl though, I'd consider trying to incorporate the factory pinstriping into it somehow. I always liked the fact that the stripes were a different color than the top and bottom of the body.

I've said it before but I'll say it again, love this truck. Only actual truck I've ever seen with the same paint codes as my Suburban.

Appreciate the kind words! I'm building this truck up like I've always dreamed but never had the cash. It took me 16 years to save up the dough!

Next 12 months will be fun!! Paint, 4" suspension lift, cab lights, 88-89 headlights, tow mirrors, fender flares, spray in bedliner, fix and rechrome both bumpers, and maybe a bigger turbo.

I've already got the mirrors, cab lights, new gm grille, new gm body side moldings.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I like the hood. It's not the same old cowl hood as everyone else has. I like the paint job you have. I'd leave it black, but maybe the top of the scoop in silver stripes.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like the paint job you have.

Same here! Coolest two-tone combo available for GMT400s in my opinion, although I may be a little biased. :lol:

@Z71Hobbs if you do paint the truck, please at least consider leaving it the factory colors. You don't see many of them in good shape anymore. Super cool.

Obligatory pic ******* incoming, I couldn't resist. They're like brothers from another mother!

You must be registered for see images

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think i didn't explain my intentions in the first post. I plan to keep factory colors and two tone set up on the truck (I definitely cannot afford a color change)..just looking for ideas on the cowl hood. I know the factory black would like nice, but I'm open to some other ideas using silver.

I'm hoping some folks have some pics saved of some different setups.

If I were to do a color change, I'd go back to the green my last truck had (also a half ton with the 6.5)...I never should have sold it! I think it died in Lafayette Louisiana.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Same here! Coolest two-tone combo available for GMT400s in my opinion, although I may be a little biased. :lol:

@Z71Hobbs if you do paint the truck, please at least consider leaving it the factory colors. You don't see many of them in good shape anymore. Super cool.

Obligatory pic ******* incoming, I couldn't resist. They're like brothers from another mother!

I like the burb!! Can you post or send some more pics of your front end, straight on and angled? In toying with a modified gmc grille.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like the burb!! Can you post or send some more pics of your front end, straight on and angled? In toying with a modified gmc grille.

Sure! I love showing off the 'burb.

Coincidentally when I was digging through my pictures I found one of a Suburban coin bank that I have. Thought it was kind of funny, it's the same two tone as your old truck that you posted the pic of.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Awesome!! You can't make this stuff up!!

Thanks for the pics...I'm starting to wish id grabbed a mint gmc grille I saw at the yard a couple weeks ago...went back two days later and it was gone!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're welcome!

That sucks about the GMC grille. If I see a silver one in good shape around here I'll try and grab it. Even if you end up not wanting it I can just add it to the giant pile of spare parts in the garage. :lol: