my worst mod was...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well after owning a GMT 400 truck since 03 it has changed quit a bit and I've spent a lot of money on it. I've been thinking about this for some time and finally decided to start a thread over it.

This is a thread to post your worst modifications "mods" that you ever did to your truck. post pictures, links, or descriptions whatever you need to convey your hatred toward doing that mod.

#1 worst mod for me is removing the chrome rocker panels off my green truck (didn't install these, they were on when I bought the truck.) They were just fine being on there, but I just decided to go for the fully debadged look and while taking them off it peeled some good sized portion of the paint off too also it exposed my rusting cab corners that I didn't know about. Should've just left them on. So people donnot ever install these!!!!

#2 just bought a new truck and it has bed cap protectors on it, I'm going to take them off sometime but whenever they were installed they weren't prepped properly and now the caps are coming off and effectively flapping in the wind and scratching the bed

#3 guy before me put a cheap bug shield on the truck and never power washed the truck, only hand washed (is my guess.) But I tried to secure the bug shield on a little tighter using a couple more screws then ended up taking it off only to find a huge build up of nasty dirt behind it that did nothing but stain the front of my hood....

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Added a chrome exhaust tip to an exhaust thet is about to go in the trash :nono: (havn't done too many mods)

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
on my 88 i tried debadging it only to find out thats what the previous owner did and ripped the fiberglass stepside bed. second worst mod was trying to undercoat the frame and find out half the frame was bondoes from the previous owner to cover up rust holes.

on my 93 the worst mods the guy did were sloppily delete, ac, cruise, and a few other things, cut the o2's, had a shop install a fully custom exhaust that doesnt line up worth a damn, he gutted the interior, spray painted all the plastics and carpets on the panels, never had carpet, decided the trans breather tube was better off under the trans so it could leak, like broken head studs, shroud bolts, thought cneter consoles were cooler if they moved around while you drove, zipties were better for hlding your seats together instead of the zipper in back, decided ground straps were bad for electrical and took those off too. yea i wont continue but a majority of all those issues are fixed now. only thing he was good at was putting on a lift and good tires, a four core radiator, and a few other gadgets

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Remote start and alarm.....Fried my ignition switch harness...I will walk my fat ass out to the truck and start it from now on.

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
on my 88 i tried debadging it only to find out thats what the previous owner did and ripped the fiberglass stepside bed. second worst mod was trying to undercoat the frame and find out half the frame was bondoes from the previous owner to cover up rust holes.

on my 93 the worst mods the guy did were sloppily delete, ac, cruise, and a few other things, cut the o2's, had a shop install a fully custom exhaust that doesnt line up worth a damn, he gutted the interior, spray painted all the plastics and carpets on the panels, never had carpet, decided the trans breather tube was better off under the trans so it could leak, like broken head studs, shroud bolts, thought cneter consoles were cooler if they moved around while you drove, zipties were better for hlding your seats together instead of the zipper in back, decided ground straps were bad for electrical and took those off too. yea i wont continue but a majority of all those issues are fixed now. only thing he was good at was putting on a lift and good tires, a four core radiator, and a few other gadgets

Holy cow! bondo for the frame, no ground straps, and multiple zip ties... did the same guy own both of your trucks before you?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
no he did not. the one was my black one (88) in my sig that was rotted completely when i sold it the guy dragged it behind a z71 and the whole rear spring hangers snapped and collapsed. truck broke in two after the 383 went in and i stomped on it.

the 93 yukon in my profile pic was just some kid im assuming trying to be cool, he ran the truck into a ditch drunk driving so i had front end to rebuild, lots of interior work because there were only seats and a healdineer, and the amount of wires he spliced into or deleted or straight up hacked was amazing. its been a slow process fixing all his mistakes but its kinda like an empty slate for me to do whatever yanno.