My new to me 1991 Chevy K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks 88GMC, we will have to meet up sometime soon. I'd definitely like to take a look at your truck in person and see all the hard work you've put into her!

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That's the normal temp. You won't be over heating anytime soon. Got any plans for the truck?

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Immediate plans are to get all the mechanical stuff in tip top shape i.e.(replace rusted brake and fuel lines, change all fluids, complete tune up, transmission cooler,etc.) after that I wanna tackle the rotted out rocker panels and cab corners but I need to find someone who is handy with a welder.

Once that is taken care of I wanna redo the entire exhaust system, body lift, and some meaty tires. I also need to do some rustproofing to the frame so the ny winters don't completely destroy the frame as it is still solid but pretty rusty. Seems like a complete frame off would be the best way to tackle that but I lack the time and space to do that so I don't know how i'm going to accomplish that.

Other things on my wish list are a 14bolt SF axle 350 motor and deeper gears

I'm eventually going to do a build thread with pictures to chronicle all my work and so that I can take a look back and see how far I've come with the truck.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Matt-
I can give you a hand with her if you need. I'm not bad with a welder. I did lots of TIG for school (Tube chassis) and MIG everything I do home. As for the rust proofing, go to Danny over at Saves on State Fair Blvd in cuse. He carry's a handy product called Raptor Liner. Its a 2 part Poly bedliner. I've used like 8 gallons of it so far and swear by it. Also if you can hold out on the axles, I'm doing an SAS comin up pretty soon and replacing my 6 lug SF 14 with a FF14. I'll sell you the front end and rear cheap lol. Lemme know if you need anything. I have a small parts stock pile too lol.

-Matt

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks bro, I would love some help with welding, I'm a virgin when it comes to that stuff. I'm good with a wrench though and if you ever need a hand i'm there. As far as the axles when you're ready to part with them let me know. I'm sure anything is better than the 3.42's I have now. I'm off all this week from work so if you wanna meet up and shoot the **** let me know.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definantly. I just gotta check out my work schedule. We'll figure something out. The axles have 3.73s if you decide to hold out.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I'll hold out i'm really in now hurry for the axles. My rear diff is leaking and i get a weird clunking noise when i take off from a stop that I'm hoping isn't in the rear end. I'm gonna pull the cover off tomorrow and see how the gears look. If everything is fine with that then I have no problem holding out. I don't tow very often so I'm not in a huge hurry to get deeper gears but I'll gladly take them off your hands when you're ready.

Reaction score
you can get different thermostats that run "normal" at different temps. cheaper stats are set at 160, better for hot outside temps, or you can get a high performance stat set at like 195 for colder climate outside temps. mine right now is stuck open and is running at like 110, have to replace mine next week on pay day. :( atleast they are only 5-10 bucks