My '98 Z71 ECSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the other day my blower motor finally quit. It had been acting up since I bought the truck but not that often. So I figured it was the fan speed switch or resistor module since the blower motor had already been chagned. Ordered both the switch and reisitor from rock auto and they came yesterday. I didnt have time to swap them out yesterday and I just got finished doing both now.

All I can say is I'd like to smack the guy that decided the location for the resistor. That is the most retarded place ever.....

I'd also like to smack the guy that picked/specified the plastic the a/c control head is made out of. I think there is one tab left intact on the whole thing. That really ticks me off right there. I knew how fragile they are since I had tried to get one from the pick and pull in case mine was going bad and causing the fan issues. I left it when it started breaking on me. I was super easy with mine because of that and it still fell apart! On top of that the resistor and switch were probably fine, the wiring just behind the plug for the fan switch had gotten hot and was not connecting anymore. So the fan switch and resistor were $35, wanna guess how much that stupid plug is? $45!!!! Guess I will be hitting the pick and pull and taking my luck that there might be a good one there. I also inspected the wiring at the blower motor and resistor and they look good so no issues there.

For the time being I cut the bottom row out of the plug for the fan switch and used some of the thin female spade connectors to reconnect the bottom two wires since they were the problem. Hope it holds out till I can find a good plug, I work nights and it has been long cold rides home this week!!!

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the blower motor has been working great so far. I hit the pick and pulls this week and got what I consider a better blower motor and the nice cover for it so it wont be so loud. Also got a new AC/heat contol head and the wiring for the fan speed switch. Grabbed a 4wd S10 oil filter setup so I can hopefully use it to move my oil filter to a better location (If it works I will post a thread on it, hate the filter over the DS personally). All that for $53, I went to this yard wednesday and should have waited till yesterday as well since they were having 25% off but all the HVAC stuff probably would have been gone.

Hit another yard yesterday that was having 50% off for the holiday, got a burb dome light assembly and a color match GMC grill for $40. Hope to get the grill on sometime this week. It has a few scratches but is in otherwise good shape......

nickl011

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Subb'd to hear about this oil filter relocation mod. GM put that ******* in one of the most awkward positions. Also, as far as the Z71 sticker, I say if you're gonna keep the molding then a Z sticker should go back on, but I recommend the NBS sticker.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, I will probably start a thread about it in the engine section, but I will put a link in here. I'm hoping to use all stock lines if they have the length to put it somewhere with easy access and no mess. Other wise I will tap everything for AN threads and put it where it works best.

I cant take full credit for this, I've had a few S10's so I knew they used this setup but last months issue of Car Craft gave me the idea to see if I could use it on this truck...

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the GMC grill installed and got the whole truck cleaned up Friday for it to rain all day yesterday and today. So much for that...

Also picked up my 60/40 bench seat sunday. I had planned to use these past two days to install my new 4x6 speakers, 8" bazooka tube and the 60/40 along with a good interior cleaning but the rain canceled all that. I guess I should be finishing the project that is currently covering my garage but I just have no moviation to work on it at all, plus I feel about like the weather today. No excuse for the past month for not finishing that project already though.....

Anyway new pics:

You must be registered for see images attach

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got my Grill Guard for Xmas installed finally. Still hadnt been able to get the headlight guards.

Got my exhaust reworked with my tax return and a new windsheild installed thanks to my insurance company. Here is a vid of the exhaust.

Also got my 60/40 installed and the bazooka tube but noting really worth taking pictures of. Still havent gotten to the 4x6 speakers though. I also picked up a S-series DIC the other day so I have another item to add to the list.

No progress on the oil filter deal, my garage is still occupied....