my 98 stepside project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Still debating on shaving the stake pockets.. I needed them soooo many times on the stepside for tying stuff down.. So if I shave them Ima have to add some kind of strapping points somewhere.. Also gotta flip the gate handle still.. Been really busy lately with other stuff tho.

Reaction score
We bought this for $300.... Supposedly just needed a head gasket and ignition switch.. Got it home, swapped the ignition switch with the sports and I fired up. We only moved it around the yard for mowing the lawn.. Then finally got a chance to change the head gasket. Get it back together and it's sputtering but revs up great.. Thinking it was timing issues, I removed the spark plugs to start over finding TDC on the #1 cylinder.. Well.. #3 & #5 have fresh water in them... Lol
Warped head.
We decided to say screw it, well just throw the Sport motor in it then. We went ahead and purchased an engine hoist that day.. Later that evening I was thinking since its going to be hot all day tomorrow, why don't I just pull an all nighter and swap the motors.. So around eight, started pulling the motor and transmission from the Sport. Then pulled the motor and transmission from the extended cab.. Had to push the truck under the Sports motor lol.. You can't slide a hoist through dirt with a motor and transmission in it.. Lol
By then it was about to be one in the morning, so wife asks if ima really stay up all night and finish it... Heck yeah!
Soon as daylight starts coming around, I'm finished with the exception of a thermostat and water pump.. Cause I just don't trust the old ones.. So we go for coffee and parts.. Lol get them on and she fires up. Man I'm stoked!! Drive it down the road and come back.. It's sluggish and temp is steadily increasing.. Gotta be a bad thermostat.. Advance auto for ya there.. Lol every thermostat I've ever gotten from there has issues.. Lol
So we go back to town.. I get a MrGasket low temp racing thermostat.. Turn the distributor a hair and now it's finally working perfectly. Couple days later I swap the dash, door panels and power windows with the Sports. And installed a pioneer head unit. Now just waiting on the beginning of the month for my little bonus check.. Tag and insurance :)
This will help soooo freaken much with finishing the 98! I don't have to worry anymore about having enough time to finish something before I gotta drive it to work.. Lol

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
Tonight after work I managed to pull off what would normally be considered impossible.. Lol
Had an hour and a half of daylight. So figured I'd see what all I can salvage from the Sport real quick..
Removed the entire power windows wiring harness.. Heater core.. Rear window.. Hood.. The seat.. Passenger door and drilled out the hinges and got them off.
Why can't it always go that quickly?!?!?

I also saved the rear half of the exhaust system from the Sport too. I already used it's front half on the extended cab. Had true duals without converters. Had to extend it a couple feet to get the mufflers to go past the carrier bearings cross member.. May just leave it like that because it's not loud at all, freaken Sport had true duals with regular mufflers.. Lol kinda pointless to me, but better than two into one I guess

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Still debating on shaving the stake pockets.. I needed them soooo many times on the stepside for tying stuff down.. So if I shave them Ima have to add some kind of strapping points somewhere.. Also gotta flip the gate handle still.. Been really busy lately with other stuff tho.
Hit up a junkyard and get 2 sets of 94-01 Dodge bed tie downs, you can mount them down low and they will hold a lot, I had used them in many Chevys.

Reaction score
Hit up a junkyard and get 2 sets of 94-01 Dodge bed tie downs, you can mount them down low and they will hold a lot, I had used them in many Chevys.

I'll check for some next time we go, we went a little while back checking for the rear panel that goes at the end of the headliner for the extended cab.. They had already crushed the Land Rovers :(
Still keeping an eye out for a sunroof tho

Reaction score
And then after getting the remaining pieces of paint off, sanded the entire surface and sprayed a DTM primer.. I had to add a hint of green to it cause I just don't like gray primer.. Lol

Yep, there's dings in it.. But, I now have a fresh surface to work with without not knowing what all is under it..
I'm soooo glad this is back up and progressing! The bed looks amazing :worship: Ready to see some more!

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I scored two twelves, Amp and capacitor for a hundred bucks the other day.. Lol now trying to figure out how to get it in the extended cab. Gotta look into how the rear seat is mounted. Thinking about raising it some so a decent box can fit under it.
So far it's getting around pretty darn good, which I definitely wasn't expecting. Lol
Now I'm pretty confident I can start pushing harder on the 98! :)