my 98 stepside project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Good deal, glad that it is working out for you!
No doubt! Man I've been depressed like crazy over this. Truck looks like pure junk the way it sits, but only I know most of it is being replaced with better parts.. And there's a lot of nice things going on and in it. But since it's my daily I don't want any of it on it yet till everything is ready for paint. I don't want to install stuff just to have to rip it out for paint later. It's ugly, but it won't be when the time comes :)

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I understand completely, I am the same way, I have a ton of parts sitting waiting to go on after mine gets painted.....someday. At least you can get the parts that you want now!

Reaction score
Oh, I found something at the pic n pull!
I've been wanting to do a sunroof on mine. The kits are really expensive , and I've seen people grafting factory sunroofs out of other vehicles onto their trucks. It's got to be an outside sliding one to work on a regular cab...

Check this out, the darn Land Rover Discovery has a simple, perfect size, outward sliding sunroofs that simply screw apart from the inside and only need a square hole to be mounted in!!! It sandwiches itself around the hole/ sheet metal.. And they have two of the exact same ones on EaCh Land Rover :)
Front one and a rear one :)

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, I found something at the pic n pull!
I've been wanting to do a sunroof on mine. The kits are really expensive , and I've seen people grafting factory sunroofs out of other vehicles onto their trucks. It's got to be an outside sliding one to work on a regular cab...

Check this out, the darn Land Rover Discovery has a simple, perfect size, outward sliding sunroofs that simply screw apart from the inside and only need a square hole to be mounted in!!! It sandwiches itself around the hole/ sheet metal.. And they have two of the exact same ones on EaCh Land Rover :)
Front one and a rear one :)

Finally a use for a disco!

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The inner roof skin hole is one inch bigger and one and a half inch bigger across the front. With a little more trimmed for the motor. The drain tubes sit flush to the ceiling and run down behind the a pillar trim. I drilled a half inch hole in the flat part of the firewall that the dash mounts to on top. Just under the black worthless rubber junk that's supposed to keep the dash from squeaking. And right next to the A pillars.. The tubes will fit snug and go right out the wiper cowl drain opening super easy. I don't have any interior so I used 3M emblem tape to hold the drain tubes in place across the ceiling and down the sides. I will be using the factory power lock switch to control it later. But since there's no interior... I'm temporarily using a power window switch from out the Sport.. Lol
All in all I'd say it was really simple to do. And only cost me $18 for it at the Pic N Pull. If you find a Range Rover at a pic n pull, they usually have a front and rear sunroof that are exactly the same. I don't recall exactly what size torx screw bit is required, but it's a very common one. All the screws are the same size bit. They have a factory gewy rubber seal under the top trim to seal it against the roof, I just used 3M emblem tape.. The thin roll, believe it's 3/8" wide. It fit and worked perfectly. So definitely no worries about later leaks. Did a road test and by my surprise there is NO wind sound with it open. And NO unwanted wind blowing in either. (0-65mph didn't go any faster) it also had no effect on adding wind turbulence with the door windows down either. Also sprayed the crap out of it with the water hose with a pressure nozzle on it.. No leaks even pointing the hose directly to the glass seating area. :)