My 71 Corvette

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddaxe

If it don't go... chrome it..!!
Reaction score
Between classic muscle cars, a badass lifted K2500 RCSS, and a John Deere bulldozer it looks like you know how to party!

Oh ya... more than most know.. hahaha... here's a shot of my guitar rig... as I pretend to be a rock star from time to time... lol cars n guitars.. is how I sum it up....

You must be registered for see images attach

ddaxe

Reaction score
The 1st Vette I owned... a 73... it served me well... but I knew I wanted an older one.. and it had to be a ragtop... I searched for about a year for just the right one.... and sold the 73... besides.. it was nice.. but not as nice as my 71.. imo

Last edited:

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Love your vette,always wanted one just never had available funds.My dream car is a '62 with a 327 & F.I.

ddaxe

Reaction score
Love your vette,always wanted one just never had available funds.My dream car is a '62 with a 327 & F.I.

Tks .. it's part of the family now..
ya.. those & the mid years are very pricey .. my dream vette is a 66

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FLYWHEEL

Reaction score
Great looking rigs all around. I used to daily drive an 03 Z06, until I decided to get married. Now it permanently resides on my wife's left hand.

You said the 73 was a warm up for the 71, what major lessons did you learn with the 73? I've been playing around with the idea of buying one of these and fixing it up.

ddaxe

Reaction score
Great looking rigs all around. I used to daily drive an 03 Z06, until I decided to get married. Now it permanently resides on my wife's left hand.

You said the 73 was a warm up for the 71, what major lessons did you learn with the 73? I've been playing around with the idea of buying one of these and fixing it up.

Have always wanted to try a Z06... ya.. it's funny how life/wife can magically turn our dream into hers.. lol.. I tried the 07 Indy pace car.. which was a funny story.. I went to the dealership in my daily driver Neon at the time.. pulled along side the Vette.. and waited.. and waited... no salesman coming around... so, I went home and went back with the 71... before I even got out of the car.. one of the salesman was literally running out into the lot with the keys in hand... take about perception...

Getting back to the 73... I always knew the Vette had a unique rear suspension set up. By having that car, I got accustom to how it worked & came apart. I had bought most all the special tools to rebuild the rear cause it's near impossible to do properly without them. It was before I bought my lathe or I would of made some of them. Also got to know how important grounds are on them as most electrical issues are mostly ground related.. especially on one that's never been touched or hacked into. I also got to know the headlight setup too. Another important thing to know is where those cars can have major rust issues. 1/ the pocket in the frame where the rear trailing arms go can be a bad spot for rust as a lot of crud can accumulate that blocks the drain hole in there and the "S" bend in the frame behind the engine compartment can also be rotted. Again from road debris building up inside the frame because of a factory hole in the frame that is right behind the front wheel. Always tap the frame in those areas in case someone it trying to hide the fact. I've come across one that the S bend was buttered up. If there's lots of scale inside the frame its a good indicator the frame has issues.. or is going to... Dry rot fibreglass can be a major issue as well... you will want to look at all body panels closely for that.
Good Luck on your hunt, they are pretty easy to work on otherwise. I bought Richard Newton's book "How to restore your 68-82 Vette" Lots of very valuable info.. each chapter covers each area of the car... he also writes it with a lot of humour.... Every vehicle I've had.. I always buy a service manual... it's one of the most valuable tools... imo

Last edited:

ddaxe

Reaction score

Oh.. and one more thing.. if you ever jack or lift them on a hoist... always unlatch the back latches on a ragtop or take out glass T Tops.. you can risk tearing the top.. or shattering the glass tops... early Vettes from that era flex quite a bit...

FLYWHEEL

Reaction score
Any suggestions for trying to find a specific year in the C3 era? Covers a big span, so is a late model preferable to early? I'm not concerned with window styles and all that, just frame & body layouts.

ddaxe

Reaction score
Any suggestions for trying to find a specific year in the C3 era? Covers a big span, so is a late model preferable to early? I'm not concerned with window styles and all that, just frame & body layouts.

The early C3's are the hot rod Vettes.. and the later ones had more creature comforts.. the middle of the pack are probably the most affordable. A co-worker of mine had a very nice 76. A friend had an 80.. all nice.. yes.. your main concern should be the frame.. by 76.. they started putting in steel floors to stiffen them up.. Sometimes I wish mine wasn't matching numbers.. then I could mod it up some.. like a big block or an LS... 5-6 spd trans.. suspension upgrades. rack n pinion steering.. etc..
an L82 optioned car will have the most HP.. at around 220 for mid to later models... mind you.. you can mod one that's not original to your liking... and initial buy won't be as high.. try to find the nicest example you can for your price range .. cause they can be costly.. in some cases...

ddaxe

Reaction score
Between classic muscle cars, a badass lifted K2500 RCSS, and a John Deere bulldozer it looks like you know how to party!

Speaking of bulldozers.. I'm finally into restoring the old '59 440... hope to have it finished by late spring...