My 1st Burban!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5vortec7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have the same truck, its been great, at 214K miles it sheared off the teeth on the distributor drive gear and left me stranded, if you have the original distributor in there i would replace it

i put a Magnaflow full system on it, manifold back with new cats, all SS, it really needed it, if your truck doesnt like to be revved above 3K its time
Thanks! I really appreciate any insight like this into the 454, it’s my first one of those as well. I’m hoping this beast will last me at least until I have my 98 back running again.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My little brother has a NBS 2000 (maybe 2001?) 3/4 ton burb, just shy of 290k on the clock with no major issues. These things are tanks.

5vortec7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What tire size you guys running? These newer rims have 285’s on them and I’m contemplating putting the stock tire size back on the 16” polished aluminum rims that also came with the truck to maybe help the gas mileage a little and help the drivetrain work a little easier.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
Nice Burb!

I'm running just a hair over stock size tires on my 2500. I thought the tires that were on it when I bought it, stock size, looked too small on the massive beast.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
i put a Magnaflow full system on it, manifold back with new cats, all SS, it really needed it, if your truck doesnt like to be revved above 3K its time

Did the exhaust really help that much with the top end pull? Seems like mine just makes noise when it downshifts from 3-2 at WOT. The 350 actually fights back when it grabs a gear. I'm not entirely convinced this thing shouldn't pull exuberantly to its shift point.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
What tire size you guys running? These newer rims have 285’s on them and I’m contemplating putting the stock tire size back on the 16” polished aluminum rims that also came with the truck to maybe help the gas mileage a little and help the drivetrain work a little easier.

I'm running 285/75r16 BFGs, went up from 245/75r16 Michelins. If you're wanting a fair tire size, I've read decent things about 265/76r16 size tires from that big ass 454 thread on Fullsize Chevy.

Did the exhaust really help that much with the top end pull? Seems like mine just makes noise when it downshifts from 3-2 at WOT. The 350 actually fights back when it grabs a gear. I'm not entirely convinced this thing shouldn't pull exuberantly to its shift point.

I haven't had anything behind my truck, but I know with going from a crappy Flowmaster and tiny 2" tail pipe to the Jones internal-x muffler and 2 1/2 all the way through, my truck runs like a hot damn now; and if I punch the throttle it'll downshift and throw me and whatever passengers back into the seat.
So I can only imagine your crew cab will pull like a ***** ape with the SC/Tune/exhaust.

5vortec7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I haven’t really stuck my foot in this 454 much yet, for fear of breaking something on my back up before fixing my other truck, the 350 seemed to hit a lot harder downshifting.
I haven’t really checked out the exhaust either but it’s an aftermarket arrow muffler I believe.

I'm running 285/75r16 BFGs, went up from 245/75r16 Michelins. If you're wanting a fair tire size, I've read decent things about 265/76r16 size tires from that big ass 454 thread on Fullsize Chevy.

I was thinking 265’s would help it out a little in all areas, except to the looks being a little shorter, but the polished 16” aluminum rims I got with this may look better and since these 285’s have only 3k on them I’d prob save them or sell them if I liked the 16’s with 265’s

Elroy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, a big improvement, with the stock exh it sounded like it was gonna blow at 4K, just horrible, like it was fighting to get past the cats, now it sings, now i bought the airraid filter kit , the stock airbox breaths through a tube so small it would choke down a dirtbike, much less a 454

5vortec7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took off the rusting brush guard that rattled over every crack in the road.
You must be registered for see images attach

How bad is this? Front frame brace is cracked on both sides, prob happened hitting a cow in the fields of Wy while being driven by the second owners bro on a night of drinking and off roading, or so the story went.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: