Must haves for in-truck toolkit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Youwillforget

Reaction score
As the tool kit and supplies are acquired you will have to figure out where to put the tools and stuff in your vehicle. I asked what is kept at your fingertips on a few forums. What a waste of time, top answers were cell phones, credit card and hand gun.

I had all the supplies but they were stored improperly and it was not easy to get to them, especially in the rain or a blowing snow storm. I was trying to group them together better and asked who keeps what in door pockets, center consoles and glove boxes.

The off road forums pretty much only talked about taking what worked on the specific vehicle they were driving and no extra tools, the Prepper forums roasted me for fixing lawn tractors, garden pumps and bicycles, It is difficult to find people who are self reliant and enjoy working across multiple areas of interest. I eventually moved stuff around till I got something that kind of worked for me. I searched forestry forums, over-landing and off road forums, lawn tractor forums, snow plow forums, multiple vehicle specific forums and many others.

I eventually stopped asking and started looking for required tool lists for vocational schools and job postings. I also started writing lists myself in my down time at work. I would picture in my head going through changing a thermostat, a starter, an alternator, brakes, a wheel bearing and so on.

lxe4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
despite all my research, money spent, and effort my 96 k2500 with the mostly original 350 chews up distributor caps. so number one is to have a spare polished up cap, some spare screws for that. usually have a rotor to go with it but its never the rotor that causes drama. also hardware for the rotor. had a rotor come loose when the other screw somehow broke one time. the one time i didn't have the parts with me. standard, #2phillips and a few torx screwdrivers. crappy socket set with some screw bits. a few pliers. 5/16 ratchet wrench for battery cables. snow brush. folding shovel. chains+tow straps. boost cables. air compressor. tire plugs+tools. belt. oil. paper towel. knives. tire gauge. spare 4x4 actuator and custom made wrench to swap it. going to add an alternator for long trips.

Mr. youwillforget. that is an impressive parts bag. nice list to start a little kit from.

1BigCarrot

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used to carry alot of tools like you all but now I carry bugger all hand tools, I'm just more focused on preventative maintenance these days.

Still carry a jump pack, tow rope etc and the old trusty . . . as we get older, you never know when you need it, til you need it :Plugged: :anitoof:

You must be registered for see images

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a full-size bed tool box, so YMMV..

Got like a 400 piece hand tool kit with everything under the sun

Extra big F’n hammers and vice grips that aren’t in the tool kit

Tow straps, chains, and hitch receivers/balls various sizes

Other misc towing things like light testers and hitch locks/pins

Lots of tie down straps, cargo nets, tarps, blankets, and other things I use often when putting things in the bed

Every fluid my truck could need + aerosol products like brake clean and starter fluid

Safety equipment like flashers, tons of flashlights, glasses, and gloves

Parts wise I keep an extra ICM and ignition coil. Had these fail on me in the past. Also have extra heater hose and extra quick connect coolant fittings (the Dorman steel ones, replaced the crappy oem pot metal ones)

Extra serpentine belt

Extra battery terminal bolts and other misc bolts and hose clamps

Got extra wires, fuses, and a multimeter as well

Tire puncture repair kit

High powered tire pump

Jumper cables

First aid kit

Probably some other little things I forgot...

In the cab I have a little red toolbox that fits perfectly between my single sub and spare tire tools. I keep common items in there like another set of gloves, glasses, fuses, hand wipes, bandaids, duct tape, zip ties, and bandaids, etc

Extra water bottles and sometimes little granola bars I keep all over the place

I love the feeling of being prepared. I hate feeling helpless without the right tool or part! Now I also keep my truck in great shape, so I rarely ever use this stuff on my own truck. I do use the equipment all the time though on other people’s vehicles or when I’m out and need some tools. The towing equipment and cargo securing stuff I use daily though, because I use the truck like a truck.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My toolbox has pretty much all the standard hand tools you would need: screwdrivers, pliers, alan and torx drivers, complete sets of combo wrenches, etc. I carry a full set of 1/2" and a full set of 1/4" sockets. Heavier than a 3/8" set but it does more.
I have found that a 1/2" breaker bar is a lot easier to use on lugnuts than any factory lugnut wrench. You don't necessarily need a full 1/2" set to go this route. Just pack a short extension and the four common deep sockets.
In terms of tools specifically for our trucks, make sure you have a small ratchet for the side terminal battery. I switch out my belt, idler and tensioner every year and I keep the old set in the truck.
If I am going to be driving in adverse conditions (rain, snow, offroad, etc) I will also carry a small floor jack.
I carry towstraps, chain, and a come-along, hatchet, small folding shovel, folding saw, and gloves. From October on I carry tire chains as well. Obviously jumper cables and fluids, flashlights, etc.
I also have a bugout bag in the truck but that's getting off topic.

I had AAA for years until the first time I tried to use it. I was about halfway between home and the small town where the tow company was located. They would tow me back to the other town but not home. Didn't realize the standard AAA membership was worth exactly nothing and you had to have the premium plan. My Geico membership has roadside assistance that is every bit as good as AAA and they will take me wherever I need to go.

Last edited:

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I used to carry alot of tools like you all but now I carry bugger all hand tools, I'm just more focused on preventative maintenance these days.

Still carry a jump pack, tow rope etc and the old trusty . . . as we get older, you never know when you need it, til you need it :Plugged: :anitoof:

You must be registered for see images
i need to add a roll of that to my truck. ive had those moments before where your truck aint quite fast enough to get you home from the bowling alley after a wet burrito. luckily i usually have a few spare microfiber towels with me, and im tellin ya now. if youve never wiped with a microfiber towel, you dont know what heaven is lol.

Youwillforget

Reaction score
I had toilet paper, feminine hygiene pads/pantie liners, tampons, and adult baby wipes in a small bag under the passenger seat.

I keep a pretty extensive over the counter medicine pouch.
ibuprofen (Advil®)
ibuprofen/diphenhydramine citrate (Advil® PM)
naproxen (Aleve®)
acetylsalicylic acid (Aspirin™)
antihistamine/diphenhydramine (Benadryl®)
pseudoephedrine/loratadine (Claritin®)
diphenhydramine/8-chlorotheophylline (Dramamine®)
acetylsalicylic acid/acetaminophen/caffeine (Excedrin®)
menthol/methyl salicylate (Icy Hot®)
acetaminophen/caffeine/pyrilamine (Midol®)
bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol®)
oxymetazoline hydrochloride (Sinex™)
sucrose/calcium carbonate (Tums®)
acetaminophen (Tylenol®)
acetaminophen/diphenhydramine hydrochloride (Tylenol PM®)
fexofenadine hydrochloride (Zyrtec®)

I also have a large first aid kit in the truck, a small one in my back pack and a matching small in my ditch bag.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gotta carry an epipen for those of you who have allergic reactions, although they have gone up in price lately