Must haves for in-truck toolkit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crunky944

Reaction score
What are some items you guys would consider "must haves" for your tool kits you keep in your truck? You know, things that would be required for roadside repairs of common issues on these trucks... For example, in my 7.3 IDI Ford I made damn sure to keep a couple of 5/8" open end or line wrenches for the injector lines.

This is my first fullsize GM truck, so I'm trying to put together a kit with the necessities to go under the back seat. It's a 97 C3500 7.4

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know I'm taking this a different way than you were going with it but... AAA Plus membership! $100 per year might seem steep, but it pays for itself the first time you use it. If anything ever happens in any vehicle you're in, you can have it towed up to 100 miles from where it sits for free. They'll even put it on a flat bed if necessary. It's a whole lot nicer working on something in your own garage or driveway than it is on the side of the road somewhere. Especially if the weather's bad.

crunky944

Reaction score
I know I'm taking this a different way than you were going with it but... AAA Plus membership! $100 per year might seem steep, but it pays for itself the first time you use it. If anything ever happens in any vehicle you're in, you can have it towed up to 100 miles from where it sits for free. They'll even put it on a flat bed if necessary. It's a whole lot nicer working on something in your own garage or driveway than it is on the side of the road somewhere. Especially if the weather's bad.
For sure. I was actually looking at roadside assistance programs earlier after I posted this. But I'm also one of those guys that likes to be prepared for everything. I used to carry an extra ignition control module and heatsink in my F150.
Roadside assistance is a great fallback, but for holiday trips like tomorrow, where I'm driving 150 miles to see family, its nice to be able to fix something on the road and keep going.

dylan5299

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Piggybacking on the roadside assistance, I have the AAA plus and it's so sweet. Got my truck delivered to my house at 12am 77 miles out of town. Then diagnosed it and towed it to my buddies to work on it the next week. All free.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I carry spare fuses and a test light, bulbs and the screwdrivers to change them. A spare fan belt and an extra long 16 mm wrench to change the belt.Extra oil for the engine and tranny. A hand full of wrench's and pliers. And a AAA membership. Any thing that requires more than that is getting done in the garage at home.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Usually in town I dnt carry anything but out campin hunting etc where you cant get a tow i usually carry fuses, spare belt, set of sockets an wrenches, thing of oil for engine an trans, jumper cables - I've helped lot of people with them but only once needed them for my own vehicle. Also might just be me but I carry a small obd scanner, from napa or oriellys so if light pops up. Oh and a length of good wire should. Sounds like alot by I usually fit it in a toolbox abt 14x8x8 so not huge.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Socket and wrench set, screwdrivers, jumper cables, spare fuses, test light. And a match and a rag if I'm not in the mood for any of the other tools.
All of the aforementioned + a jack (factory even), flashlight and a spare ICM. I don't hate my truck enough to give it the molotov cocktail treatment though! lol