Muscle Car sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
When I think classic musclecar sound I think Thrush & Cherry Bomb. Flowmaster and such IMHO is a modern muscle sound. I had 2 baked out long thrush glasspacks (true duals) on my 73 Plymouth Roadrunner w/a hopped up 340 and that thing sounded beast and as classic as it gets. I plan on putting a Thrush welded muffler on my 1990 c1500 350 w/a high flow cat soon.

Ummm a Thrush "welded" muffler is a duplicate copy of a flowmaster 40. According to you, this is not a muscle car sound. I have a muscle car with completely cooked glasspacks on it.

Magnaflows are damn good, I had an itty bitty one mounted up on my old Vortec 350 Suburban, all my friends said it sounded like a racecar when I got on it, still had stock manifolds and cats too;

My 454's got a flowmaster on it, sounds decent, but just want something better flowing. Plan on running shorty headers, no cats, true dual 2.25 pipes with an X-pipe and maybe an H-pipe welding in somewhere.

Another good way to achieve the muscle car choppy sound is a cam upgrade, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms that a lot of us are way to eager to open.

Sound is one thing. Rhythm and beat are another. Come to think of it, there are quite a few distinctly different muscle car sounds.

Hightower1

Reaction score
Ummm a Thrush "welded" muffler is a duplicate copy of a flowmaster 40. According to you, this is not a muscle car sound. I have a muscle car with completely cooked glasspacks on it.

Sound is one thing. Rhythm and beat are another. Come to think of it, there are quite a few distinctly different muscle car sounds.
I didn't say I was going for the classic musclecar sound in my truck. Otherwise I would go for their glass packs or the Mad Hot. :)

Last edited:

Daly

The great white Canadian
Reaction score
Exhaust is good and all, but if you really want it to sound like a muscle car you'll need one of these to replace the very unmuscle car like one in the factory truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

PapaGrune

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, I had a two similar trucks. A 2000 chevy 2500 with a 5.7L vortec. And a 1997 z71, The 2000 had facory exhaust and muffler rusted out and I looked high and low. I put two power sticks on it and it sounded amazing. http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/products.html
The 1997 had flowmasters 40 series and while Im not against flowmasters the 2000 sound is what I missed. Nice deep sound, I had dual "long bodied" 2.5"

I lost that site... Now I have it back. I was looking for diesel exhaust at that time. lol

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have 2.25 from stock manifold into a custom y merge pipe into a 3 inch jegs dual chambered. Muffler with a turn down at rear axle. It sounds groovy

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Exhaust is good and all, but if you really want it to sound like a muscle car you'll need one of these to replace the very unmuscle car like one in the factory truck.
You must be registered for see images attach
Agree. Along with some compression. Cammed up 10-11.1 compression hitting hard is music. Stock with a loud exhaust just for the sake of being loud still sounds weak.

Last edited: