muffler choice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCORCH

Reaction score
I've got a 98 5.7L with 2.5" cat back dual exhaust with glasspacks. I like it better than stock but its really not all that loud and i was contemplating on getting either the Flowmaster Super 44 muffler or a pair of Flowmaster 10 series. I'm just looking for a little bit louder and deeper tone. i dont like how the glasspacks arent loud until they warm up and when you hit high RPMs it loses the deep tone and almost has a rattling like tone.(signature glasspack sound)

Is it worth it? or are they all gonna sound similar and not be worth it?

thanks

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got no muffler, and I get a similiar sound to a glass pack, but at low end mine has a deeper tone, and at the high end mine has a higher tone with a cackle.
But I'm happy with that.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im sure you have seen my flowmaster 10 series posting. ill let you know how i like the 10s. but honestly i would be happy with the 40 series over glasspacks. i dont think they will be as loud but will for sure sound deeper. also tattooed4life has 10s on his truck and 99z28monster also had 10s on a camaro.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could replace your cats with Thunder Bolt cats.
I couldn't get the cats installed the day I got my exhaust put on. A week later I went back and had them installed, and I can't tell a difference in sound.

Reaction score
On my previous truck (1995 Yukon GT), I ran a Flowmaster Super 44 (3" single inlet, dual 2.5" oulet) and it sounded mean. People loved the rumble, and on the freeway it was noticable, but not to much drone. My tips (3" stainless) were straight out the back. Factory cat and manifolds. There was a good power increase off of the muffler man special that was on the truck when I bought it. If you like a nice rumble that is tolerable on the freeway, go with a 44.

Since I will be doing majority freeway driving nowadays, I am going to run true duals with thrush turbo mufflers and the same straight out the back tip config. with an x-pipe thrown in there somewhere for my 98' z-71. My truck has factory 2.25 duals so I'm just gonna cut off the cats and run 2.25" in the muffler to a 2.5" outlet if Thrush makes that. Just my .02

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had a flow dumped and hated the way it rattled the truck around. Now im runnin a Magnaflow dual in/out with x pipe built in. Love the sound and performance!

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah my flow 10 dumped sounded terrible and rattled the inside like a SOB, but now with pipes running to the rear bumper its pretty quiet inside and still loud outside. it has a little poping to it but not very bad at all. overall its my favorite sound so far.