Misfire on L31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dngr

Reaction score
Hello from Vancouver Island, BC!

Having some issues with my engine swap. I have a 1997 C1500 that previously had the 4.3 V6 that I swapped out for a 5.7 V8 from a 1996 Tahoe. Right now I have what I think is a vacuum leak; I can start (the truck, but it won't hold at idle, ie it stalls unless I continuously give it gas. It sounds like a misfire but there aren't any codes other than for the Mass Airflow Sensor. Spark plugs on cylinders 1, 5, 6 and 8 are are very black and dry looking, and the clean ones had a shiny appearance to them like they were wet. Any suggestions? I've taken a good look around the internet but there may be something I'm missing. Should probably add that I'm basically teaching myself along the way what to do with heavy referencing of this forum, youtube and google searches.

Brief history of the engine: Was in a 1996 Tahoe, ran pretty smooth before I took it out. Before I swapped in the engine I replaced the camshaft for a slightly larger one (the 395 GMPP), replaced the valve springs (Alexs Parts) and rockers and replaced the intake manifold and cylinder head gaskets. Distributor is brand new (Summit) and CMP retard is set at just 0.7degs, if I remember right using Car Gauge Pro. Spark plugs and wires were also replaced at the same time. I'm using the V6 wiring harness (V8 harness didn't really match up with the truck) and switched out the injectors for the injectors from the V8 harness; only splices made during the switch was for the a few pink power wires, all the others were straight plug and play into the PCM. PCM was changed over to a 411 PCM via Lextech's sheet.

I'm damn close to calling a shop to tow it and then pay out the ass for labour and/or pick up another truck but I feel like I'm also damn close to finishing this thing. Grr

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Did you double check all the wiring? Are you tuned for the cam? Have you checked your vaccum via vaccum gauge? Is the spider injector new?