Misfire issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would check the play in the distributor gear by taking the cap off and trying to wiggle the rotor and see if you have much play

Red Bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just installed new MSD dist. and timed it.
The more reading and looking on Google I find out
that I should clean the maf sensor and get rid of the
K&N filter. Go OEM paper.
Fingers crossed :High 5:

Last edited:

E_Wheeler

Reaction score
Red Bowtie, while I can appreciate your mechanic friend's opinion, I can only state my experience. I tried everything, replacing cap, rotor, wires, plugs, crank sensor, converted to the new fuel injectors, head gaskets, catalytic converters, new distributor, replaced all the O2 sensors but still had the pesky random bucking and stumbling. When I replaced the IAC, it all went away and it's been driving great since.

L8TR,
Eric

Dyelon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a great thread. I was just telling my wife that since I just spent 2-3k on parts to rebuild my front end, exhaust, and put a 4/6 drop with new wheels on my 97' that something would probably go wrong mechanically. Well I just got the P0302 code yesterday. I too have new cap, plugs, rotor, distributor, fuel filter, and fuel pump. I have the upgraded spider. I am also getting a new cat and exhaust with replacing the 02 sensors, when they come. I am throwing a code and it really only feels like its running rough at idle. My cat just started rattling so I was hoping that that was related. Should I just go straight for the IAC?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a misfire code for cylinder #2, so those are always fun to track down.

Try swapping the upstream oxygen sensors and see if the code moves to the other bank. Swapping the plug from #2 to a non-misfiring cylinder would help rule out a bad plug.

You can check for an exhaust restriction using a pressure gauge in the upstream oxygen sensor ports...

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: