Meet Moby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mybigwarwagon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After coming to the realization that with my wrecked back, it might take quite a while to get one of my myriad of other Suburbans running again. I began in earnest a search for a new tow pig.

I was in the market for a k2500 350 with barn doors. I drove many miles looking at trucks that were either no better than what I had, or not what they said they were at all.

I did find one beautiful 94 that the guy said was a small block. I test drove it, fell in love with it. Then I got back and opened the hood to check for leaks. At that point I realized what I had missed the first time I opened the hood. It was a big block. Nope not gonna pay that fuel tax.

I found a truck in Wilmington that was exactly what I was looking for. The pictures were great online. So we took the 5+ hour drive down. In person it looked like it had been in a demolition derby. The 4wd would not engage, the radiator was full of stop leak. And then there was the interior. If you took a truck, hosed the interior in bacon grease, then turned a pack of feral dogs loose in it - it would look better. Not only that the headliner was covered in black mold. So we went to see the USS North Carolina and came home.

After more searching I came to the realization that, I either had to go out to the went coast to find what I wanted, or I was going to have to buy a 1500. Since I used a 1500 for years with a set of airbags under it, I know I can do it again.

I looked at a few more and finally found an ad in Hickory, NC. So we drove up to take a look.

We beat the guy there so I had about 15 minutes of unsupervised time to crawl all over the outside.

Right off the bat all four tires were bald. SO I began to think of a price that included me buying new tires.

He finally got home and I checked out the interior and engine. Then we took it for a drive.

Back at his house I told him I had to buy new tires for it. He said I didn't. I started to argue, but then it unlocked his basement and told me to follow him.

A friend of his had bought a new truck. He didn't like the tires or wheels, so he drove it 7 miles to his house and took them off and put the set from his old truck on it. We swapped them out. I handed him some cash and he handed me the keys.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I already have the airbag setup out of the old truck that have been langushing in the shop for a few years. I also have a bumper/brush guard for the front. And I ordered some led lights for it. ( which were just delivered a few minutes ago).

Now I can wait till my spinal column cooperates to work on the other trucks, and I can still go to work and haul stuff around.

And yes I named it Moby. One because it is huge and white (not unlike me). And I went on an obsessive search to find it - that nearly killed me.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn sounds like it was a hunt looking for a good one. I'd be mad driving that much only to get disappointed. But Moby looks good, haven't watched vid but what year an milage

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
454's aren't too bad for DD'ing, 'course TBIs do get pretty **** fuel mileage. I get about 10-13 with all the driving I do.
Did you ever find out what was wrong with the Blue Ox? That was the blue 454 Burb wasn't it?

This one does look pretty clean! I coulda swore I saw an ad for a 96 K2500 burb in Winston Salem just the other day.

mybigwarwagon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
454's aren't too bad for DD'ing, 'course TBIs do get pretty **** fuel mileage. I get about 10-13 with all the driving I do.
Did you ever find out what was wrong with the Blue Ox? That was the blue 454 Burb wasn't it?

This one does look pretty clean! I coulda swore I saw an ad for a 96 K2500 burb in Winston Salem just the other day.

My TBI 454 got 11 mpg. I got tired of feeding it

I never did figure out what the BlueOx had wrong with it. Before I could get back to it someone showed up with a wand of cash who wanted it more than I did.

IF there was one for sale within 500 miles of me I saw the ad. There was one in Winston that looked grea tin the pictures. When I contacted the guy he had the engine apart and said he was putting new gaskets in it. i asked how long that would be and he said it had no front axle because he pulled it out to SAS and then lose interest. I mean, come on, be honest and just say what is going on with it in the ad.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Sometimes it takes a lot of fortitude to search out a specific vehicle.
Years ago, (Decades!...shhh!)
I wanted a number matching factory original High-Perf Chevy musclecar.
Had a good job & a pocketful of cash burning a hole in my jeans.
This was the late-70's! When no-one wanted a V8 sucking back 6-10mpg of premium. A rough idling solid-lifter, high compression, bare basic, noisy gas pig. Especially one with a stickshift. (Perfect! Lol!)
Looked...for a year! So much used-up beat-up junk!
Found what I was looking for 6 blocks from home.
I had known of the car since the original owner had bought it new. Watched him drive it home at the end of our street on day one. I was the 3rd owner. The guy I had bought it from was an old G/F's li'l bro. I knew him when he was in grade school!
Weird how things like that happen.
When I was looking for my first 400, I looked at 13 trucks over 5 months before I made a decision.
So...maybe it's just me.
Oh yea...and you. You too! Lol!

mybigwarwagon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And it begins....Well not really.

We had to do the first repair to Moby. The back brakes started to scream. They were paper thin, but had not worn the drum. We also found a leak in a wheel cylinder so we replaced both of them. When you tow as much as I do there is no excuse for taking a chance on brakes.

I didn't take pictures, I figured you all knew what drum brakes looked like.

I know that some people hate them, but I like vent visors. In the south, where it gets to be 400000 degrees with 8700000000000000000000000000000% humidity in the summer time, it is nice to be able to leave the windows cracked when you park, and not have every one know about it. Otherwise it is like sitting in the oven with the chicken.

I ordered one set on Amazon and they turned out to be crap and didn't fit at all. They went back. I didn't realize they were some Chinese brand. I got a real set of visors and put them on today.

You must be registered for see images attach

Then we drove down and got a Nissan for scrap.

We got home and I decided I had had enough of not being able to adjust the mirrors. So I stole a switch out of a parts truck and put it on.

I didn't realize that when I put the switch on I hit the door lock button. I came in and realized I had left my flashlight in the front seat. I walked back out and found the doors locked and the keys in the ignition. I called AAA and they came out and let me back in.

I have taken a bunch of measurements and I will soon be building a tool box for the truck. We got a van for scrap and it had a tool box in the back that will be the basis for the rest of the box.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Glad you found what you were looking for, honey bear :D

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Cripples unite! Backs are consumable, they don't do much in the way of healing. All you can do is try to make it less bad. Only crappy thing about a 1500 that isn't easily band aided is the transmission. Sure you haul often, but from what I've seen you don't seem to haul exceptionally heavy so not the end of the world.