Marker light switchbacks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anybody ever run switchbacks in their marker lights? The ones that take the 194 bulbs? If so, what size did you end up using, and how we do they work?

Sent from my LG-H820PR using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty sure you're in uncharted territory. They can't possibly cost much so I say, just go for it. I'm guessing you already have (or are planning to do) switchbacks in the other 4 large bulbs?

As mentioned in the other recent switchback thread, although I had already solved the hyperflash issue by hacking my flasher (or you can replace with an LED-compatible unit), I still had to put my load resistors back in to get the switchback function working properly on my '94 while running all 4 front signal bulbs as switchbacks. Worked perfectly after I put the resistors back in. I had a plain, non-switchback LED for the corner bulb.

Gut instinct tells me the corner switchback will probably work fine providing you have sorted out making the other 4 work, too.

Richard

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes sir. Plan on running all 6 in front as switchbacks. Do you have any night pics with your lights on?

Crytone

Reaction score
The problem with 194 bulbs is they are only 2 wire, one positive and one negative. The 194 switchbacks work in a different way than most vehicles do - they rely on the polarity changing to get the switchback effect (the positive wire becomes negative, and the negative wire becomes positive).

Now, that's not a hard problem to overcome but won't be just drop in with a load resistor. A relay on each line to activate the switchback function would work. You might require a few more components to make it work properly though (so it doesn't just flash between white/amber when turning) like a capacitor to hold the relay on for a tiny bit.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No nighttime pics, just this one slightly dark garage pic. These are the old V-LED's SMD-style switchbacks (bought them long before they came out with their Triton product line) and a regular white corner LED. TYC housings and whatever brand clear corners I could find then. For color comparison, the HID's are DDM 35W 5000K. In person they look whiter than what came out in the pic.

You must be registered for see images attach

I am wondering myself though how a 194 switchback would work on a GMT400 corner bulb, since it's just a "single filament" type application. It's either on or off; it doesn't have two functions like the other 4 front bulbs - marker/turn. With the headlights on, as the turn signals blink, the corner lamp turns off. Hmmmm...

EDIT - I see while I was typing, Crytone addressed the same issue

Richard

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's interesting. Mine all blink at the same time..

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would white marker lights be legal anywhere?

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
thank you. great info. i will be hacking on some leds into the front signals and if it works or looks good i will link the post to this thread.