Magnaflow 23256 review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the Catalytic converter plugged up on my 94 k1500 and when I went to pull the O2 sensor on the side of the road it took part the pipe with it. 500 miles from home on a Sunday I cut the Cat out and slid some pipe in to channel most the noise to the muffler. The next day got an estimate to do redo it from the y-pipe back as I knew there was hole near the muffler at $650 and decided to fix it myself. Went with the Magnaflow 23256 and Really happy I did, included the donut seals so $20 right there. It's a 2 piece design with the drivers side pipe being separate so install was easy and the manifold flanges look at least as thick as OE if not thicker. All mandrel bent and the converter is 2 in 1 out and it looks to flow better than stock. Which they say is a bottleneck.

Unsurprising one stud broke, even though they were only 3 years old from doing head gaskets.

I figured I'd post up in case someone else wants a first hand review. Ordered a Dynomax catback a few minutes ago to finish the exhaust with coupon codes and free shipping I'll be about $500, including about $125 in the rest of it, Heated O2 sensor, manifold gaskets, stud kits, manifold bolts, and manifold spreader.
I even took a few pics
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Magnaflow Y-Pipes are good stuff, been running one on my V6 truck for years now. All the benefits of the stock fit with much better flow. They're pricey, but well worth it IMO.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I was figuring $400 to let the shop do the job but they get $280 for the cat alone and I spent $201 on this, so if I add in the extra hardware I did also, I'm about where just a cat would of been installed as I'm not comfortable welding one in on the truck. And I have nice new metal not 20 yr old rather thin metal. I didn't find any opinions on here before bought so I figured I might help someone else out because I saw reviews on poor fit for both the magnaflow the flowmaster version.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Same here, I wasn't comfortable having someone just weld in a replacement cat at all. I looked around for a while and the Magnaflows were the nicest drop-in solution I could find. Thanks for spreading the good word!

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I put the Dynomax cat back system on after work today and it was too quiet for my wife, (the truck is hers and her baby) So I took the extras from bypassing the cat and ran it straight piped and its not much louder then the previous set ups including leaking ball flange, hole in tail pipe, and a 24" glass pack that I took off. It's a bit to raspy to me so I'll probably put a glass pack back in a some point, so it has a "muffler" for her to feel better about legalities.

baddbradd

Reaction score
I don't remember the model of my magnaflow ,its a 3" in and out...a bit quiet as well but installing longtubes now. Do you still have the factory y pipe?

well hell, I see the pics now duh....

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't remember the model of my magnaflow ,its a 3" in and out...a bit quiet as well but installing longtubes now. Do you still have the factory y pipe?

well hell, I see the pics now duh....

:lol: The part he was reviewing IS the Y-pipe...

All good. We all have those days.