"Lt. Dan" - 1989 C1500 Regular Cab SWB NASCAR tribute and Autocross Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, pretty much the same idea.

I've already picked up a set of black D window wheels for the truck; got a set of 5 used ones for $125 total. Trying to decide what tires to go with, Hankook or Cooper Cobras.
Dont know if it matters to you, but i dont think you can get the cobras with white letters anymore. I know they didnt offer them anymore when i went to replace mt tires so i went with the hankook ventus h101.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

BubbaGump

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been looking online and both simpletire.com and discounttiredirect.com show the Cooper Cobras in stock in the size I want, 275/60R15. And I'm not sure which tire is better, the Coopers or the Hankooks. Either way, I'm probably going to sand the sidewalls smooth and stencil the tires with the yellow goodyear logo.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I was thinking too bad the old yellow letter GY eagles aren't around anymore.

Stencil? Good call sir.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
440 treadwear on an autox build? Come on, there are way better tires out there.

BubbaGump

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Coopers or Hankooks will be for street driving. I'll have another set of wheels and tires for racing and just change them at the track. Probably NASCAR take offs or some Hoosier A7's.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
You're going to be 6 of one a half dozen of the other; same if you include the BFG T/A in this group. Support for hi-po compounds and design on 15" tires slowed down to pretty much nothing years ago.

BubbaGump

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, the 15s will be mainly just for looks and because they are cheap enough that I won't feel bad doing big burnouts and goofing off (all on a closed course, of course :) ). I've got a friend that does a lot of asphalt circle track racing, so hopefully he can hook me up with some good used 15" slicks I can use for autocross. If not, I'll just get a set of 17s and run some sho nuff race slicks like the Hoosier A7.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I can tell you from secondhand experience that those takeoff tires won't warm up until your run is over. Even with a yellow lap on a road course with scrubbing it still takes the tube frame cars a half of a lap to walk away from my class on DOT R compounds. You're going to need those A7s.

BubbaGump

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you from secondhand experience that those takeoff tires won't warm up until your run is over. Even with a yellow lap on a road course with scrubbing it still takes the tube frame cars a half of a lap to walk away from my class on DOT R compounds. You're going to need those A7s.

True, true. But a set of cheap wheels and the a7s are going to be $2000, so they may have to wait. I can get a set of wheels and the takeoffs for under $300. And most of the guys at my local club still run street tires on their cars, so I'd still be better than them with the takeoffs. I'll get to the A7s eventually.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Then I'd go with a sticky street tire. Or look into what I run in my series at half the cost: 275/40/17 Toyo RR.