"Lt. Dan" - 1989 C1500 Regular Cab SWB NASCAR tribute and Autocross Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BubbaGump

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I've hit mid life and the obligatory crisis that comes with it. I've decided to build up a 1989 C1500 that I bought from the local school district for $400. The TBI 305 and 700R4 are leaving (305 into a work truck I have and the 700r4 is inop) and a nice little 350/th350 combo is going in. I already have the engine and trans from a previous non-gmt400 project. I'll be doing the project in three stages.

Stage One:
  • Lowering 4/6 with spindles/springs and a flip kit/C notch.
  • installing 350/th350
  • gutting interior and installing race seats
  • adding 15x8 "D" window NASCAR style wheels and 275/60R15 tires
  • NASCAR style 3 piece splined sway bars
  • replacing all suspension bushings with polyurethane

Stage Two:
  • 8 point roll bar
  • upgrade engine to better intake, cam, and ignition to get from 360hp to around 420hp
  • 3 link the rear axle
  • 4.11 gears
  • rear disc brakes
Stage Three:
  • Full roll cage
  • re-engineer front suspension, specifically upper control arms.
  • Fuel cell
  • convert side and rear window to Lexan
  • LS/4L80E swap if I kill the 350

I named the truck "Lt. Dan" for a couple of reasons. First, "Forrest Gump" is one of my all time favorite movies. Second, my wife's name really is Jenny, and third, the school bus mechanic was the guy who used this truck, and his name was Dan. "Lt. Dan" just seemed fitting, especially since I grew up watching the "Dukes of Hazzard" and the General Lee as a kid.

BubbaGump

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of before pics.

You must be registered for see images attach

Trashed interior. Doesn't matter; it's all going away.

Getting ready to pull off the bed for lowering and c notch.

Last edited:

BubbaGump

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stage one: Lowering 4/6

My kit is the Chassis Tech 4/6 kit, spindles and springs in front, flip kit in rear, with front shocks. My kit also came with front shocks. I do have the standard aka "light" duty suspension with 1" thick front rotors. I spent just under $400 shipped. Yes, some people don't like the chassis tech stuff, but I'm cheap and willing to take a chance. I'll comment here on the quality, fit, and finish as I install the kit.

I also bought the energy suspension polyurethane kits (red) for the rear leaf springs and front control arms from rockauto.com. They were a bit cheaper there than other places I found. Part numbers are:

ENERGY SUSPENSION 32128R leaf spring and shackle bushings - $59.79
ENERGY SUSPENSION 33147R control arm bushings - $56.99

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of before pics.

20171002_185347-jpg.190197

Trashed interior. Doesn't matter; it's all going away.
20171002_185401-jpg.190198

Getting ready to pull off the bed for lowering and c notch.
20171002_185420-jpg.190199
Pics aren't showing up...at least not for me.

BubbaGump

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a little done:

The only bolts that gave me trouble were the front two bed bolts. One rounded off because I was using a 3/4" 12point socket instead of the proper 6 point 18mm socket. The other front bed bolt capture nut broke loose inside the bed support. I was able to get to both with an angle grinder and liberate them. FYI, don't use an impact wrench on the bed bolts. Mine was pretty much useless. Ended up taking them all off with a 1/2" ratchet and cheater pipe.

Leaf spring bushings are junk:

I did a little measuring before I took the bed off. I measured from the center of the wheel up to the fender. This should be a good reference point no matter which wheels and tires I have on the truck. The front was 18.5" from the center of the wheel to the fender, and the rear was 21". The 4/6 drop should level it out just right.

Last edited:

BubbaGump

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pics aren't showing up...at least not for me.

Hmmmm... Ok, I did a copy and paste from my other thread. Might have to go back and upload them another way. Thanks for the heads up.

*EDIT* Hopefully working now.

Last edited:

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm... Ok, I did a copy and paste from my other thread. Might have to go back and upload them another way. Thanks for the heads up.

*EDIT* Hopefully working now.
Yep, can see them now.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I like your vision; where you're going with the build. What are you planning to use to feed fuel and air to the 350?

Nascar side swept exhaust? Nice wide stance?

Caspian

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Subbed for this one. I'm curious to see how this turns out! Love me some shortwide GMT400!

BubbaGump

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like your vision; where you're going with the build. What are you planning to use to feed fuel and air to the 350?

Nascar side swept exhaust? Nice wide stance?

Thanks!

Right now the engine is a .030" over 350 with World Products Sportsman II (basically Dart II) heads, a Comp Cams Xtreme Energy 268H cam, 1-3/4" headers, and a Weiand Action+ intake. I stole the carb off the engine for another project, so I'll have to come up with something else. I have a Quadrajet that needs a rebuild, so I may buy a book and do a race-prepped version of one for the engine. I had a buddy who did circle track racing modify one for me in the past, and it worked better than any Holley or Edelbrock I've ever used. According to the Internets, this combo should be making around 365 horsepower. In stage 2, I'll go to a larger cam, the 600hp FiTech Fuel Injection system, and whichever intake will match the FI system. The goal for stage two is 425hp, which is about the top I want to run on my two bolt main block. If and when I scatter the motor, I'll just LS swap it.

And yes, definitely a set of NASCAR boom tubes.