LS Swap TBI Bracket, A/C Hose Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95SUBURBANLM7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well after about ten months of on an off working, Im about done with my swap. The motor's in, and now Im working on getting the A/C. I saw this thread: bit.ly/1TQuyAm and modified my TBI bracket to use the GMT400 A/C compressor. Now my question is, which route did you guys go to shorten the A/C hoses? As an example, the hose that goes from the compressor to the accumulator/drier, that one seems a bit long because it is kinking pretty bad. I would like to shorten it, but it looks like the aluminum hose on the compressor needs to be bent a bit. I have no problem bending it, but what procudures are there for this?

Another question, how did you guys route the mess of coolant hoses on the fender?

Any help would be appreciated.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know a thing about using those brackets, but I used the stock truck LS acc. brackets and the Holley R4 comp bracket that fits my OE 95 compressor, my lines and compressor are bone stock, and they fit perfect.

95SUBURBANLM7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Draggin, I appreciate your reply.

Did you use the Dirty Dingo mounts and the NV4500 transmission. With that setup, I believe the engine mounts an inch or so closer to the rear of the vehicle. That adjustment kinks one of the hoses and necessitates a 2-4" reduction in length of the hose. Not only that but I believe the metal tube connecting to the a/c compressor needs to be bent rearward.

If I am overthinking any of this, let me know, I often have a problem with that. I would rather not have to do any more work then I already have to do.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have my engine in the 1 inch back position also, I have a 4L80E though, I have on other installs rebent by hand those lines more than once, just do it slow and be careful and you should be fine.

95SUBURBANLM7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have any pics of your a/c setup posted? I'll have to take some pics of what I have, post them up, and you can maybe help me see where Im going wrong.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

95SUBURBANLM7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I took a pic of my setup, here it is:

In this picture you can see how the hose is kinked. The only remedy I can see, is bending the pipe back to more of a 90 and shorten the hose a good foot. Now if I did that, would it have an effect on the amount of refrigerant that the system could be recharged with?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok you can hand rebend the aluminum line to get the kink out, I have done this several times before, just do it slowly and carefully. Bend the aluminum part so that it is closer to the compressor and bracket then the rubber line will have a much smoother radius and shouldn't be kinked anymore.