LS swap into 98 questions, info overload!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

notfastenuff

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This isn't my first swap, but it is the most involved electrically wise. What I've got is a 98 ecsb with a 305 vortec auto that has a dead cylinder. SO, it's time to do something. One option that I'm HEAVILY considering is a 5.3 or 6.0 swap. I've read and read and read, and think that I have a really good idea of what I'm getting myself into, but I have questions.

1. Parts list: LS engine, harness (oe or custom built swap harness), mounts, headers or manifolds, a/c adapter and custom lines, custom fuel lines, coolant and oil pressure adapters, and flywheel spacer. Am I missing anything?

2. What accessories do I use? I know that I'd need to get the brackets with the LS motor, but do I use my old alt. and P/S pump or the ones from the LS motor. I know that I'd have to do the Sanden with a custom bracket for the A/C.

3. I've seen many different ways of running the harness (ex.: use both LS and 98 vortec computer, use just the LS computer, and a few others) Is there a "best" way?

4. I read in one swap thread about having to use a pressurized coolant tank. Do I use my original radiator or do I need to use something different?

5. Is there a way around the VATS in the LS computer other than sending it to someone to get it removed? I don't know why, but I don't really wanna ship it off if I can get away without it.

I'd like to attempt to make my own harness. I keep reading LS1truck.com's site and telling myself that it doesn't look that bad. (I used to do mobile A/V, so I'm no stranger to wiring.) Can anyone that's done that please chime in and let me know your experience?

Thanks ahead of time!

Swackhamer

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perfect timing, I have a Fairly extensive parts list in my Street Build post. I am not complete yet, Actualy I have not turned any wrenches on the 97 yet.
Im using a 0411 computer alone. Lextech Did the Program & pin out. I also Got a AC / Alt bracket setup from him as well. U will most likley use youre stock PS pump. Definately the Stock alt (if u use the 0411) As for the harness Im no electrician & having no issue doing my own.(I recived alot of good info) So far so good.

jantzer

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock radiator, 5.3/6.0 truck accessories, any LS computer, pressured coolant tank (no- whatever that is). The vats needs removed, but if you order your harness from PSI (performance systems integration) you can get a computer from them and they will remove it for you. Making your own harness is a pita. For your first swap, just buy the harness from PSI. You have enough work to do.

ls6firebird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stock radiator, 5.3/6.0 truck accessories, any LS computer, pressured coolant tank (no- whatever that is). The vats needs removed, but if you order your harness from PSI (performance systems integration) you can get a computer from them and they will remove it for you. Making your own harness is a pita. For your first swap, just buy the harness from PSI. You have enough work to do.

do you know how this harness compares to the harness from nelson performance? i'll be starting a 5.3 swap, and there so many different options for harnesses