LS Recommendations into 1995 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cajundave10

Reaction score
I'm looking to do an LS swap into the above mentioned truck to replace a tired 350tbi with a blown head gasket. It will be my daily driver.

The 5.3l LM7 looks like the best engine for a strong upgrade to this truck from what I've read.

Where is the best place to purchase a good used engine and ecm? How many miles is too many in your opinion?

Sac12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Best place to start finding them is craigslist. Most junkyards want a premium for them still and they takeoff some key items that cost extra. If you are on Facebook, join as many LS Swap groups as possible. I know of one right now has several 5.3, 6.0 & 6.2's in Louisiana for sale, around the New Orleans area.

Far as miles it all depends on PO maintenance. I've recently tore down a LM7 with 180k miles on it and still had cross hatches in the cylinder wall. But its good practice to change oil pump, maybe the chain if it is loose and lifters are cheap enough to put in a new set.

PSI is a nice go to for wire harness and computer. They sell a computer with the VATS already deleted for what most junkyards will sell you a factory computer for.

Last edited:

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
5.3 is a great platform, but it is different all together as far as "feel".

your tbi has wayyyyy more torque down low. but after 3500rpm the 5.3l beats it everywhere.

a stock 5.3l with headers and a good tune will be a great dd engine.

change the oil pump and timing chain for sure, they are cheap and there is no reason not to. if everything else looks good, put it back together and throw it in!

95SUBURBANLM7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any recommendations to get that low end torque, and keeping the upper power?