LQ9 Swap into my 96 C1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alwayssomethin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a heads up on a complete 2006 6.0L for around $1200 bucks. I have a 96 1500 that Ive owned since I was 15, I am looking to do this swap for some power and reliability. Just curious really on what i will need to do this swap, what will be required to make the cab functions work properly still, and what will need to be done transmission wise (trans has 180K on it after rebuild) so new transmission is on the table, just a reccomendation as far as L60 or 65/80. All opinions, hints, tips and tricks are appreciated. thanks again.

97_chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
are you going to put performance parts man like cam and other things like that are just going to leave it stock

Alwayssomethin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the moment, I am shooting just to get everything set up, installed and functioning, getting the trans. Right and strong enough to hold it stock and then some. Getting the rear end right, them letting it run stock a while, then if I have problems with the motor, or when funds allow, ill come back with the cam and other mods.

97_chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
right now i have a 4l60 in the works there going to beef it up am going to put a 5.3 into my truck full bolt-on with a small shot then work my way up from there but a stock 4l60 should work for you man if your going to take it slow then later on just make it heavy duty to hold the power

Alwayssomethin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im trying to get some opinions on the 65 or 80E to see if they are worth doing the swap on too....Which, If I could get the 180k out of a L60 that I got out of the one in it, Id be more than happy. This trans has been with me since 15 and 163K miles of me driving....through mud like a dumbass, spinning wheels, 3 sets to be exact, 6 sets of tires, manual shifting, power braking, and god only knows what else, and never once was it serviced....terrible I know...lol

97_chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the tranny thats in are trucks right now is alittle different you could make some changes for it to work man but your better off buying a tranny from a newer truck i ask alot of ?s about using the same tranny with the guy thats builting the other one for me and he said just get a newer one you wont have to go though the trouble of having to mod it for it to fit on the newer motor

Alwayssomethin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
YEah I planned on going newer, was just trying to decide if the 4l80 was stronger, and if so what mods id have to make to swap to it. And if either required different x members or mounts

97_chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the 4l80 is stronger its a good tranny if you have the power too move it thats the only thing and the stall to go with it.........not really sure but i know you have to mod somethings it just doesnt bolt up

Alwayssomethin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill definitely be purchasing a stall, and If I go with the 6.0, itll have the power to move it, since thats what the majority were originally mated to. Right now my complete 6.0 fell thru but Im dealing with someone local on a complete 77k LS1 for $800

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, definitely install an 80E with the 6.0. Installing the 6.0 moves the engine two inches forward but since the 80E is longer, it's my understanding you won't have to move the transmission mount.

6.0 + 80E + truetrac = FTMFW