LQ4 Swap in my 95 Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kawikid

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bought my LQ4 last night for 675$ it has 61K on it. Only came with alternator, coil packs, starter, and AC condensor. Im picking ECU and Intake manifold at a yard next week. Looking at a 97 4l80e right now that is supposed to be rebuilt, I'm waiting on paperwork. I bought my conversion motor mounts last week and Im buying my fuel pump today. If anybody can point me in the direction of some good Long tube headers that will fit it will be appreciated. Wiring harness Im looking for an uncut one for less than 125. I have a question about my power steering assembly and pump. Is my 5.7 TBI powersteering pump interchangable with the LQ4? I feel like I have a good understanding of the whole swap and feel pretty confident. If anybody reads anything and think I left something out or forgot it please chime in, any tips also is appreciated. PICs will be up later today.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would say get some Schoenfeld header's everybody that has them seems to like them, I don't about the 95 pump fitting on your LQ4 but if you use an original ls truck pump your original 95 lines will bolt right to it.

Kawikid

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I plan on blocking off my EGR all I have to do is block it off at the headers or get new headers, and block it off at the intake manifold then tune it out of the PCM? correct I've never removed one before but I'm guessing thats all I have to do.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes all you have to do is block it off, and then have it turned off in the pcm, I am also having the rear o2's and evap system turned off. My 6.0 didn't have have an egr luckily.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Schoenfelds if it is a 2x4. If it is or is going to be a 4x4, they don't work without a minimum of 6"of lift... We found out the hard way on our 5.3 swap...

Last edited:

Kawikid

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes all you have to do is block it off, and then have it turned off in the pcm, I am also having the rear o2's and evap system turned off. My 6.0 didn't have have an egr luckily.

Why are you turning off the EVAP system? Just to clean up the engine bay? I did a google search and couldn't find any good things about removing the EVAP system unless you just want a pretty looking motor. Unless there something that I skipped over to where it hurts the motor. Same question about the rear 02s? Are they just used for emissions purposes?

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Why are you turning off the EVAP system? Just to clean up the engine bay? I did a google search and couldn't find any good things about removing the EVAP system unless you just want a pretty looking motor. Unless there something that I skipped over to where it hurts the motor. Same question about the rear 02s? Are they just used for emissions purposes?

If rear 02s are like that on the OBS then yes its only to let you know if the Cats are working and does nothing but that (makes no changes to air/fuel, etc.)

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The rear 02's check against the front 02's, to make sure the catalytic convertor is working, and I am not running cats, so I can remove the wiring and have them turned off in the tune. I checked on the evap system as well before removing it, yeah it's maily so I don't have to have an evap canister, or any of the plumbing associated with it, not to mention the evap system from my 6.0 and 95 truck are completely different.

Kawikid

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Picked up 2002 4l80e 2wd with converter, PCM, Power steering/alternator bracket and pump today for 700 at a local yard. Ill I have left is a harness, intake manifold, and headers left for the big stuff. Did yall replace your injectors when yall did the motor swap, A couple people on GMFS suggest getting new ones everytime you buy used, and I sort of agree with them, every manifold I've looked at and pulled off the fuel rail dirt would fall out of the injectors. I'm prob going to send off my PCM to blackbear soon so I can get the EGR, rear 02s turned off and get a good tune for it. when I get a couple more performance upgrades then Ill get a data logging tune. Yall think I should switch my electric fans over from the relay I'm running to the PCM just wandering cause black bear can do that as well.

This is the harness I'm looking at buying

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-L...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I figured it would be pretty easy since its already wired for the 4l80e tranny. Im going to try and do a step by step write up of the cutting up the wiring harness I have most of the cuts written down already from looking at the diagram here.

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-truck-conversions/20236-pcm-pinout-diagrams.html

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am switching my fans to pcm controlled, I prefer it that way, but you could use a standalone setup as well.