Lowering affecting towing ability?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much would lowering a truck affect it's towing capability? I have a 1 ton and like how much it can pull, but I don't like how tall it sits. I don't want a smaller truck though because with 2 car seats a crew cab works best. I'd have air bags in the back to keep it level. Ideas?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you go with a 2-4 drop you should still be able to tow anythng you want, if you go lower you will end up wanting helper bag's.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will still tow whatever you want it too. Just remember the helper bags are not there to increase the load capacity, but to keep the axle from bottoming out......

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I wanted to hear, perfect. I'm aware of the purpose of the bags, I doubt it will ever get loaded with enough tongue weight to max out OEM specs.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of slammed trucks that still get the crap worked out of them. Drag nasty is one that comes to mind as an extreme example.

Bottom line is buy a good quality kit from a good company and you dont have anything to worry about. When I worry is when someone tries to do it on the cheap and still wants to tow 15k pounds....

96twodoor

Dark side of the moon
Reaction score
There are plenty of slammed trucks that still get the crap worked out of them. Drag nasty is one that comes to mind as an extreme example.

Bottom line is buy a good quality kit from a good company and you dont have anything to worry about. When I worry is when someone tries to do it on the cheap and still wants to tow 15k pounds....

^ pretty much sums it up right there . When I had my 84 dropped 5/7 I still towed all the time , even towed a 18ft car hauler with my blazeron it a few times

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Yeah for sure, that's to the mono leafed guy hauling the 18 foot loaded car hauler!

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya that's just as scary to me as lift blocks on a front axle or stacked blocks on the rear. I see both around here frequently. One time I even saw stacked blocks on a front axle. I called the cops on him, that is just too stupid......

Kmac69

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So with a 4/6 will be to low to tow a 69 impala on a 20 trailer??? I have a 96 1 ton cc