lowered truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PapaGrune

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone add front or rear sway bars or anything else to make the handling of the trucks better? Sticky tires? I don't mean DOT autocross tires. At one time Goodyear made PolyGlass Tires that were very hard, as Firestone made some soft tires.

I used to autocross and track race on asphalt. Even dirt track cars. But the dirt cars are a different class as far tires and suspension.

dryslk

Reaction score
I come a dirt background as well How about using rear bar setup from a burban & some aftermarket good dirt shocks for street stocks , also I was thinkin of maybe getting a front bar bent up out of 4130 Chome Molly . as far as tires ,my choice would be one of the companies that make drifting tires BUT Their Street Tires

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The front sway on most of these trucks is pretty decent. Adding a rear one is easy. I've used AddCo and Hellwig, found the Hellwig a little better as it didn't require that I drill holes in the frame for the bushing brackets...though the u-bolt style setup for them seemed like it wanted to slip under heavy use so I ended up tacking them to the axle tubes. It's been years so their hardware may have changed since.

As mentioned by dryslk some have adapted a Suburban rear sway to the pickup. That's a nice low-buck way to get there but the aftermarket bars are way fatter and really not expensive.

Tons of tire choices out there but for lowered trucks I always like to stick to a tire designed for sport trucks, generally you will find an XL load rating so that you provide for the heavier weight of a truck vs. most cars, and also in the event you might actually still haul something with it as I frequently did. Tire compound offerings still vary greatly in the sport truck tire line-up but depending on what size you go with there are more than a few sticky choices. BFG Sport Comp 2 are pretty decent and inexpensive to boot, don't last very long but reasonably sticky and some sizes are available in XL load. Toyo Proxes ST2 are decent too but not quite as sticky, good treadlife.

Oh, just put a set of Nitto 421Q's on my SS; they came practically new on a set of wheels I bought. Got a couple good reviews on them but I probably won't be abusing them the way I would on my old truck. This one is at stock height and the tire size is a little larger due to that.

Starting out by lowering the thing properly to begin with goes a long way. Proper rated drop springs instead of cutting springs, flip kit instead of pulling leafs and ending up with a mushy ride, etc.

Richard

Last edited:

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm with sog, i put hellwig rear sway bar on, stitched the axle mount, and ordered the end links off of a 2016 1500 drilled base of frame and ditched the c clamp brackets they came with made a huge difference imo, although I'm down about 8-9 inches in the back not sure if the set up I said would work for you. But hellwig has lowered and non lowered applications if I remember correct.