lower ball joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wanting to put all my parts on tomorrow

wondering if anyone knows anything about pressed in lower balljoints

ive heard i can use the weight of the vehicle to get them in there

any tips tricks or know how would be very greatly appreciated!!!!

basically need to know the best way to get pressed in lower balljoints in there...

Cajun4x4

The Green Seal
Reaction score
go to advanced auto parts rent a ball joint press, its a more complete set than the one at autozone... its a realy easy to do, just get yourself a good impact and a 7/8 socket to use with it

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well ive figured out that this store called part stop just down the bend my dad has been going to for years

will press them in for 25 bucks, i knew about their machine shop in the back but didnt think about calling them

so for 50 dollars they can do both sides in 20 minutes if that, and theres no worries at all

the only problem is that you have to take your lower control arm off and that includes marking the torsion rod

and making sure its in the same place it was when you put it back, i couldnt get my torsion bar out of the control arm

so i just took it up there with me, it was heavy and im sure they wished i could have gotten it out but its worth it to me

cause i get to stand around the machine shop and look at blocks and machines and everythings just jolly

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My tbars are frozen into my lower arms for life as well. Good work on finding a shop to do the pressing, last thing you need is for that to come loose.

T-Bagg

Reaction score
For frozen Torsion bars I suggest a long stell punch or rod, a heavy hammer and a friend. That's how I got mine out.

For the lower ball joints, if you don't want to pull you A-Arms and want to do it yourself but can't get a press. Or yours has bent on you like I've heard of them doing.
To remove: Put your truck on jack stands after removing your Spindle put a jack under your A-Arm so it doesn't move and you can beat your ball joint out with a hammer, assuming it's not completely corroded in. Putting some extra M.A.N. to work should over come this.
To install: remove the rubber boot fromthe new joint. Find a sturdy piece of metal pipe or a socket that will fit over the joint and rest around the lip. Use the jack from earlier and press the joint up to the recepticle for the joint. You can then use the hammer to beat the A-Arm down onto the joint.
This isn't necassarily the prettiest way to do it. Also make sure your aim is true so you don't ding any edges or smash an unintended target. Putting a piece of wood down on your A-Arm, for your hammer blows to actually strike, will prevent any cosmetic/physical damage.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
nah i just did all my ball joints and upper control arm bushings shocks sway bar end links and sway bar bushings. if you dont need to put lower control arm bushings on your truck and there is no reason to pull your control arms but to put the ball joints on i would just rent the ball joint press. its so easy to just press them in yourself and it will cut your install time way down. i needed the press just to get the old ball joints out. id just rent the press and DIY. it took about 4 hours total to do the one side ( since i had never done it before ) and about 2 hours to do the other. but keep in mind i was doing much more than just my lowers and was taking my time doing it. and this was all done with hand tools. let me know if you want some other info on it since i have the prosses beat into my head now lol.