Low Beam Headlights don't work.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1996 gmc truck. Ever since i've had this truck i've always had a problem with the headlights. What happens is when i turn my running lights on, i do not have low beams, and when i push the turn signal control arm to toggle between the low and high beams, i only have high beams, the low beams just don't turn on. My turn signal houses light up, but i don't have any low beams. I have changed the grille from the w/t version to a silverado, changed bulbs and still have the issue. I'm stumped, has anyone ever dealt with this type of problem before? I really dont want to have to drive around with hi beams all the time... Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks! :shrug:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had this on a Tahoe, and it was the multifunction lever (turn signal switch thing). Apparently the headlights are wired through it. The wiring can get damaged if the tilt wheel is slammed up and down a lot.

As a workaround, I drove around with only the DRLs, I think I remember them still working with the headlamp switch in the parking light position.

Here are the diagnostics for a 1998, maybe it will help.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have in fact seen broken wires for the headlight circuit, coming from the multifunction switch on 1995-up columns.

The pigtail to the headlight switch gets burned up sometimes, too. Replacement pigtail sucks as it's expensive and all the wires are white instead of color coded...

Richard

mutanay

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My headlights worked up until i put LED replacements in them. They worked for about a month then one day at school the passenger low beam gave out. Im stuck on using highbeams now. Just recently my passenger highbeam is starting to give out. The bottom side of the led bulb is burnt and only the top half is on. Would that be the same issue? I dont know if it is wiring or a fuse. But no way can 1 month old led lights wear out like that. Something is killing it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like you just got some low quality LED headlights. Most of the stuff out there isn't worth the box it comes in. Please dude throw some regular halogen capsules back in there and quit blinding everyone with your high beams. It's way too easy to change the bulbs instead of riding around like that.

BTW I've done a lot of automotive LED's and seen some fairly spectacular failures, even on much lower power LED's like turn signals. This includes one that literally flamed out sideways through the base and damaged the socket, yet continued to kinda work.

Richard

mutanay

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you just got some low quality LED headlights. Most of the stuff out there isn't worth the box it comes in. Please dude throw some regular halogen capsules back in there and quit blinding everyone with your high beams. It's way too easy to change the bulbs instead of riding around like that.

BTW I've done a lot of automotive LED's and seen some fairly spectacular failures, even on much lower power LED's like turn signals. This includes one that literally flamed out sideways through the base and damaged the socket, yet continued to kinda work.

Richard
I might change back to halogen soon considering everything is going out lol

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk