lost socket in door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dylan5299

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i was installing tow mirrors and I lost the damn socket when I went to take it off. I took apart the inner door panel but it wasn't anywhere in there and thought what the hell.. so I looked on the ground and everything and can't find this thing. I have a feeling it went down a different tunnel where my finger is pointing and I have no idea how to get to it. Any help is appreciated thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Directly below that opening is the wire harness for the power windows and door locks (if you have them), after that it looks like a straight shot to the bottom of the door. Maybe the socket got caught between the harness and the inside of the door???

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
you just need to get another socket and move on. i dropped a chisle down the front drivers fender 2 weeks ago when i was working on the door hinges. it's still there.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
yea, I've been there too. I tried magnets, those little grabber tools, girlfriends skinny fingers, everything. Unfortunately its probably gone until the door gets a big enough rust hole then it'll end up on the side of the road somewhere.

dylan5299

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fear that its gone. it was my favorite 10mm too :'( I checked everywhere i could get my fingers, arms, magnet tool etc.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have a compressor a blow gun will sometimes dislodge a socket so it falls to the bottom. If not it will sometimes make it rattle so you at least know where it is.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
If the socket is magnetic, try getting a very strong magnet and sliding it on the OUTSIDE of that panel, along the bottom, or any areas where you think the socket might be stuck. See if you can hear movement on the other side of the panel. If you do, you might be able to slowly slide it up to the opening and work the socket up with it.

I have a really strong magnet from when I used to work grocery. Magnet in my pocket and my box cutter would stick to the outside of my jeans, and would stay there, even if I had to move/bend/run. That might be the kind of magnet you want to use, if you have one.