Lost oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farmerman96

Reaction score
K guys I hope this isn't puosted elsewhere. I searched but didn't find it. I have a 1993 Chevy k1500 And I was towing a 12ft u haul trailer loaded from Tucson to Vegas. About 5 hours into the trip I noticed the oil pressure guage read 0. Immediately thereafter as I was pulling over I heard the lifters ticking. I removed the oil cap and started the engine. I saw no oil so I assumed I spun a main bearing. I started fluttering the gas and slowly the oil returned to the head so I started again as I was in the middle of nowhere. It happened several more times but only when I accelerated hard enough to down shift. I was able to limp it the additional 5 hours and have put a good 5000 miles on it after a good run through and haven't had any issues. I want to tow again so its time to get it straightened out. Does anybody have any suggestions? It had an oil change that day prior to departure and levels were good. Again not a single issue since I dropped the trailer or prior.

Last edited:

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
K guys I hope this isn't puosted elsewhere. I searched but didn't find it. I have a 1993 Chevy k1500 And I was towing a 12ft u haul trailer loaded from Tucson to Vegas. About 5 hours into the trip I noticed the oil pressure guage read 0. Immediately thereafter as I was pulling over I heard the lifters ticking. I removed the oil cap and started the engine. I saw no oil so I assumed I spun a main bearing. I started fluttering the gas and slowly the oil returned to the head so I started again as I was in the middle of nowhere. It happened several more times but only when I accelerated hard enough to down shift. I was able to limp it the additional 5 hours and have put a good 5000 miles on it after a good run through and haven't had any issues. I want to tow again so its time to get it straightened out. Does anybody have any suggestions? It had an oil change that day prior to departure and levels were good. Again not a single issue since I dropped the trailer or prior.

Did you check your oil level?? I think your oil pump is knackered.

farmerman96

Reaction score
Yeah levels were good. If my oil pump was going then why would it only do it under load when towing and give me months of trouble free driving? Its baffled many a Mechanic friend. I had my neighbor tell me that it was a defect. Something to do with channels that didn't match up. Never heard that before or. Since though

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its possible the guage or sending unit is a problem and its just and indication issue. It shouldn't be too hard to change the oil pump on a 4x4. They are relatively cheap. Might consider getting a high volume unit from the parts store and swapping it for peace of mind if you think you did actually lose pressure.