Look what just came in!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ralph Bartels

Reaction score
Finally got around to installing the new steering box. The end results are incredible and as of now I would recommend the Red Head unit if your considering this replacement. I forgot what it’s like to have 0 play in the wheel.

Within the last 50,000 miles I’ve replaced all steering components including the steering shaft from Rock Auto - I think it was Doorman, new a/c Delco power steering pump (with the return fitting for a hudroboost setup), pitman, idler and pivot bracket and tie rods - all Moog as well as a steering stabilizer from Rough Country. After all of this I still had a good bit of play and so decided to replace the box. After reading threads discussing the differences in parts store units and the Red Head I decided to spend a little more and be done with it. And I’m glad I did.

A few of notes. Remove the power steering hoses AFTER you remove all of the bolts/nuts. If not you’ll be working in a mess of power steering fluid... ask me how I know. I think the only tools I used were 7/16 socket where the steering shaft connects to the box, 7/8 socket to remove the three bolts holding the box to the frame, 18mm wrench for the PS hoses, some degreaser and a pressure washer to clean up the area prior to working. All together it took me about three hours to complete the job. I have done this once before so I was familiar with the process.

I’m happy to answer any questions.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. Do you find the steering effort to be any different than before and did you notice any benefit to replacing the steering shaft?

Ralph Bartels

Reaction score
Thanks. Do you find the steering effort to be any different than before and did you notice any benefit to replacing the steering shaft?

The effort is about the same. Replacing the steering shaft eliminated any play in the rag joint - the rubber spaced incorporated into the lower portion of the steering shaft. I would say the steering box accounted for 75% of the total steering play. All other components contributed the other 25%. If you haven’t already replaced your pitman arm, idler etc you’ll see a limited improvement in steering play from a new steering box.

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. I got the readhead box as well and replaced everything except the shaft, which is why I asked. Other than the super light steering feel, I am happy with the responsiveness.