Look what just came in!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
PS the hydroboost setup is basically the greatest thing ever. My truck stops like a BMW. But if you are going to do it get the rear disk conversion kit from Little Shop MFG with an GMT800 booster. The disk kit is actually easy compared to getting the booster right and it's easier to buy the 800 booster in nice shape than a reman 400 which will be junk (I learned this the hard way when it started leaking the first day). Doing all the work and keeping the drums is a waste compared to the performance benefit of doing both.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just found this thread because I was searing for "steering feel" and it came up. I just got my redhead quick ratio for my '98 2-door Tahoe last week and I like it a lot. It has a nice accurate feel to it.

However, the steering feel is too light by a lot and after a week of driving truck I have gotten used to it but it would drive a lot better with much more resistance. I have been reading about it more resistance. This seems to be the best thing I have found this https://www.ebay.com/p/Borgeson-Pressure-Reducing-Kit/658644098?iid=291813791972&chn=ps&thm=1000

But on the Summit site it says it is to reduce the pressure in a rack and pinion. Does that mean it is NOT going to reduce the pressure/increase the steering effort in a recirculating ball? I kind of assume so.

I don't want to hijack the thread but if anyone knows where I could find out how to do this I would appreciate it.

Thanks

I went through this recently and believe the difference in system pressure is made using a shim on the internal valve in the pump. Here’s a link with photos of the differences.

I have a Blue Top gearbox in my 98 two-door and it has a firm feel to it. The Delco box in my 98 truck is pinky steering.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/evo-versus-standard-power-steering.41445/

It doesn’t really answer your question, but the shim on the valve may be something worthy of additional research.

This assumes that the quick-ratio box is not making the difference or a faulty EVO sensor on the steering column.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. I did read that thread earlier today. The adjustable valve looks like the way to go but I haven't been able to find it for sale on the internet or even more info about it.

I ditched the EVO as part of the hydroboost conversion and then got a '95 reman box and it was almost undrivable with so much play which is how I ended up with the redhead.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How does the steering feel compare to the stock system...or was it shot when you got it?

I suspect that choosing the right shim is by trial and error (and a particularly tedious one given the work involved to disconnect everything) but here is a thread where someone talked about the differences. It’s about the 12th post down...

http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10246#93681

Isn’t the power steering pump different for hydroboost systems?

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks I will check this out. The stock box with 190K on it was "Ok" and the reman box was total junk. The steering feel had more resistance when stock.

You can use the original pump when you go hydroboost, but you have to put a T valve in the outlet line. I bought a new pump with the second outlet, and put in a ps cooler as well.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good deal, let us know how it works out.

Ralph Bartels

Reaction score
PS the hydroboost setup is basically the greatest thing ever. My truck stops like a BMW. But if you are going to do it get the rear disk conversion kit from Little Shop MFG with an GMT800 booster. The disk kit is actually easy compared to getting the booster right and it's easier to buy the 800 booster in nice shape than a reman 400 which will be junk (I learned this the hard way when it started leaking the first day). Doing all the work and keeping the drums is a waste compared to the performance benefit of doing both.

Thanks for the input. I’ve alread got the rear converted to discs. Still collecting all the parts for the hydro setup. I’ll look into the gmt800 booster.

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I came back to this thread and saw this valve, and I am glad I did. Because my question is: If I do the pressure reducing kit, what effect is that going to have on pressure going to the hydroboost and braking force? If I do the valve it will not effect the pressure going to the booster since it has a separate line, right?