Longbed to Shortbed Swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerrySmith

Reaction score
I have a 1988 Silverado 2wd LB EX cab I'm going to make it a short bed. My plan is to basically move the rear axle forward 14" by relocating the spring hangers, etc. I know I will need a short bed, small gas tank, and a shorter driveshaft and other misc items. I was inspired by the CCSB swap in the "Screw cab shortie " thread.

So far I have a sportside bed, smaller tank in hand.

What are my options for a driveshaft, is there a one piece available, or just use a 2-piece from a ECSB? Does anyone have measurements for such a driveshaft?

Any opinions are welcome! Right now I'm collecting parts and will do it this spring.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I assume you are getting parts from a junk yard. So if that's the case I'd go there and get a drive shaft from a ecsb and then measure the frame and how it's all laid out on the factory ones (maybe take some pics) and then just mirror that to what you do. It sounds like it should be fairly easy but I'm sure there are things I'm not thinking of. In my opinion, if your keeping that color scheme I would prefer a fleet side bed. Step sides only look good in certain colors. But that's just me.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

TerrySmith

Reaction score
That looks cool! I wish it was easy.

No, I'm not keeping that color scheme. I hate brown! The champagne on the bottom may stay and the upper will be another color, most likely red, but I'm looking at other options.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
My ecsb was a one piece driveshaft, itd be much easier ton ust buy a ecsb

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a 1988 Silverado 2wd LB EX cab I'm going to make it a short bed. My plan is to basically move the rear axle forward 14" by relocating the spring hangers, etc. ...

I'm only mentioning this because I don't see it listed but you do know you'll have to cut the frame down and it's not just as easy as moving the rear axle forward and throwing parts on, right?

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
Pm DRAGGIN95. He has actually done this to several trucks. He can tell you what exactly needs to be done to convert a long bed to a short bed.

TerrySmith

Reaction score
Well the weather is finally getting nice so it's time to get cutting! Everything is forward 14", tank is replaced with a short unit, and the excess 19.5" lopped off the rear. There's a few odds and ends to finish but it's almost done.

I was unable to track down a ECSB 2wd driveshaft so I took the old one to a local driveline shop and had it shortened and balanced.

Here's some pics.