Long Tube Headers for 7.4 K2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey everyone, maybe there is already a thread out there about this... but I'm new here :p
Has anyone done the research and found what they consider to be the best for the buck Long Tube Headers that work on a 7.4L K2500 Suburban?
I have only searched briefly through web search, summit, jegs, that sort of thing so far, but I've only only owned the truck for a couple of weeks :)
So far I see it seems no one makes a "cat-back" that is direct fit... I can make all that if I need to, but would like a good set of headers to start with.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading.
Smitty

Cole

Reaction score
The best headers for the 454s that I know of are jba headers. A friend of ours swears by them and he has a 92 454ss truck. Also copper gaskets is a must too.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also copper gaskets is a must too.

I strongly disagree with this. I used SCE copper gaskets when I installed my shorties, re-torqued them every week just like the instructions stated. They still started leaking after about a month. Switched back to standard Fel-Pro gaskets and I've never had a problem since. Not a fan of copper exhaust gaskets on daily drivers.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I strongly disagree with this. I used SCE copper gaskets when I installed my shorties, re-torqued them every week just like the instructions stated. They still started leaking after about a month. Switched back to standard Fel-Pro gaskets and I've never had a problem since. Not a fan of copper exhaust gaskets on daily drivers.
I agree. I tried copper gaskets on my shortys. It wasn't long before mine leaked. I now also have Fel-Pro. They have been on there for about 6 months now I guess, and I don't have any leaks.

Cole

Reaction score
When I got my truck the stock steel sheet metal gaskets were leaking. I went with sheet metal fel pro gaskets. I run mine daily and I'm not leaking yet that I know of on my 454. The family friend I mentioned has had his 454ss since about 94. He's ran almost every header and gasket setup available. He has told us that copper is the way to go. Also, jba headers are the best setup. He drove his daily up until his frame off restoration last year. A big block is going to react differently than a small block.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A big block is going to react differently than a small block.

To gasket materials? Explain that one to me please. Copper is soft. It's going to be just as soft on a 454 as it was on my V6.

Cole

Reaction score
To gasket materials? Explain that one to me please. Copper is soft. It's going to be just as soft on a 454 as it was on my V6.
I'm not really talking about just gasket materials. The heads on a big block are going to be different than a small block. Anything from size, air flow, temperatures, and etc. I'm not pissing on your experiences or your theories. Different things work for different people. He has a 454 so I replied being an owner of 454 and having a bit of knowledge with the big blocks.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't see anything in that explanation that would change my opinion, different strokes for different folks. I'm willing to bet that the temperature and pressure differences are negligible between (stock) big and small block primaries, and if anything the small block gaskets have more material around each port.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate copper header gaskets. With proper pre-install preparation and after-install maintenance I've seen plenty of people run them on the street with no issues. The problem is I've also seen a lot of people (including myself) have them start to leak after a while even when properly maintained. I feel like they're probably more appropriate on a race engine that gets tinkered with on a regular basis.