Lights flicker, computer resets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lowreese26

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last few months I have had an issue I’m stuck on fixing. Sometimes when I turn off the truck the interior lights flicker. The next time I start the truck it doesn’t run right. Then I turn it off for a few seconds and start again. Two months ago when I went to get smog checked, they told me the battery had been disconnected, which ithadn’t. Just sitting on a battery tender. Any ideas

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like a loose ground, or even a positive on the battery. With all of the extra connections I have hanging off of my battery on both positive, and negative connections. I started the truck the other day, and it clicked, went dead for just a second, and then it was good. Truck started fine, and ran fine. Well in doing my e-fan upgrade Friday, I found a loose stud on the ground side of the battery. There was my problem. My connections have no corrosion. I grease my connections to prevent this. This would also make sense that they would have told you that the battery had been disconnected when it hadn't. If you have some corrosion, you can use some baking soda, and water mixed up about 2 TLBS to a glass of water, to dissolve the corrosion on the battery, the terminals, and the cables, then coat it all in grease to prevent future issues.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Do you have a replacement cable end for the battery terminal?

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Could be bad ground(s), bad cable terminal(s), a fray in cabling somewhere grounding out against metal. I've also seen a dying alternator show the same symptoms that you're seeing. Start there and come back to us if none of these fix your issues.

lowreese26

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have had all my cables replaced with 1/0 gauge wire. But I don’t like the way it came out but it worked for years. So I’ve been planning to rewire it all. So I’ll see if that fixes it. Thanks for the suggestions. And I’ll report back

5vortec7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score